how important is ventilation??

wyogirl

Oh crop!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It sounds like a stupid question...I know this. But, we have a spare bathroom that we NEVER use. I was all ready to set up my dark room for black and white developing in there, when I realized it doesn't have an exhaust fan. Is B/W chemestry really caustic? Will I die?:(

I don't remember dying when I did mine in a closet. And there's almost nothing wrong with me. :meh:

What kinds of chemicals am I exposed to when using photographic processing solutions, and how do I minimize exposure?
Some photographic processing solutions may fall under the general chemical categories of acids or bases. Most photographic processing solutions are aqueous, and all photographic chemicals are labeled as required by the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and accompanied by a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). You can minimize exposure to any chemicals by following the instructions on the labels and the MSDS. These labels and MSDS not only display the chemical names of the solutions, but also specify potential hazards associated with their use. The warning and precautionary statements also assure safe use and reduced exposure to the chemicals. For example, precautionary statements may be used to ensure that gloves are worn for personal protection from anything that may be harmful if absorbed through the skin; that goggles are worn to protect the eyes from anything that may cause burns; that aprons be used to protect clothing; and that ventilation be operating properly to reduce the possibility of respiratory tract irritation. See our publication J-98A, Safe Handling of Photographic Processing Chemicals to find out more about chemicals used in photographic processing solutions; publication J-312, Personal Protective Equipment Requirements for Photographic Processing Facilities to find out more about Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), and publication J-314, Indoor Air Quality and Ventilation in Photographic Processing Facilities .

KODAK:FAQ:photo Lab Health & Safety

That doesn't make it sound overly dangerous, but...

I've set up darkrooms in bathrooms and I rigged up exhaust fans that fit in the window (assuming your bathroom has a window). Such fans were commercially manufactured for darkroom use and are "light-tight." At the other end of the room I'd put in a darkroom vent which lets in air but not light. I would think you could find these on eBay,etc for little money these days.

Regular B&W chemistry is not terribly dangerous but some people do have an allergy to some of the ingredients, most commonly metol which is present in many developers.

Besides the chemical considerations it is nice to have a supply of fresh air when working in a darkroom, especially a small one.

Are you printing or just developing?

If you are just developing and worried about fumes, once the film is loaded into the tanks (either in the darkroom or a changing bag), then keep the door open for ventilation. The only exposure you'd have to the smell of the chemicals is when you are pouring them in or out of the tank.

As for printing, I'm not sure. The only time I've wet printed was using Caffenol and that might stink but it's not toxic so I don't even turn on the fan. There must be something wrong with me because I don't even mind the smell. ;) And fixer just smells like tuna fish but the smell dissipates fairly quickly. But I suppose it depends on how sensitive you are to certain chemicals. No one really likes bleach, for example, and it's good to keep things ventilated, but my mother could be cleaning the bathroom for an hour with a really strong bleach solution and be fine, but I would have a headache within a minute or so.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
To clarify:
I'll be developing film and printing. Black and white only. I'm using Kodak D-76 & Dektol as developers and Illford Rapid Fix for fixer... haven't committed to stop bath but leaning toward that orange stuff Kodak makes, (can't remember the name off hand) or maybe just plain water.
I know that I'm not sensitive to those chemicals as I have used them extensively in the lab at the college. I feel like they are pretty innocuous because I did all my developing with bare hands and no tongs.

I don't plan on using the room for more than an hour at a time and will have the chemicals covered during non use and the door open. I can't immagine having more than an hour of time anyway...the three-year-old will be outside knocking as it is.

Very toxic. Prolonged exposure can have negative side effects such as pretentious opinions about film, a strong distaste towards anything digital and most tragically a inclination to purchase and wear berets.

Please be safe.

To clarify:
I'll be developing film and printing. Black and white only. I'm using Kodak D-76 & Dektol as developers and Illford Rapid Fix for fixer... haven't committed to stop bath but leaning toward that orange stuff Kodak makes, (can't remember the name off hand) or maybe just plain water.
I know that I'm not sensitive to those chemicals as I have used them extensively in the lab at the college. I feel like they are pretty innocuous because I did all my developing with bare hands and no tongs.

I don't plan on using the room for more than an hour at a time and will have the chemicals covered during non use and the door open. I can't immagine having more than an hour of time anyway...the three-year-old will be outside knocking as it is.

B&W chemistry is more dangerous than you've probably led to believe. The majority of college and university photo labs are NOT SAFE. Children are at far greater risk. Read the book.

Joe

To clarify:

In 1839 Louis Daguerre introduced the world to Photography. The Daguerreotype process required the photographer to hold the exposed plate at a 45 degree angle over a tin of heated Mercury. Photographers on day one began poisoning themselves and polluting the environment. Kodak, Illford, Agfa et al. spent $$$$$ thereafter downplaying the dangers of their products.

In the 1970's I sold industrial photo equipment including commercial darkroom equipment and I began learning about proper ventilation in commercial labs. In the mid 80's I took a job at a college and was told by the department chair, "good news, we're spending $17,000.00 to add ventilation to the photo lab this year." I was able to stop the work and make some changes to the system they were installing. The engineering firm that did the plans didn't know what they were doing and in fact they were making the lab more dangerous. I wasn't able to fully correct the errors but did manage to force some critical adjustments. In the 90's I started talking to Monona Rossol. Most college and university photo labs are NOT SAFE. Thankfully most of the students get short-term exposure. Make your school subscribe to the ACTS newsletter: ACTS: arts and theater safety newsletter Read it.

I watched two of my friends die from lymphoma before they reached the age of 50. They worked full-time at other college photo labs. Can't prove the cancer was related of course but I saw both those labs and I reported one of them as highly toxic.

You have a 3 year old in the house.

Read the book: Overexposure: Health Hazards in Photography: Monona Rossol, Susan D. Shaw: 9780960711864: Amazon.com: Books

Joe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Vent that darkroom!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've worked in photo labs since 1985.....it was not for venting the labs I work(ed) in, I'd be dead.

To clarify:

If at all possible, investigate the installation of a fan that will vent to the outside. Usually any bathroom that doesn't have an overhead vent has a window; those are building specifications. A fan would be the best solution. If it is simply not doable, stick to your rule about not being in there more than an hour at a time, and crack that window (top & bottom) to air it out.

When you say you "will have the chemicals covered during non use and the door open," can you clarify? If you mean keeping the mixed chemistry tightly capped off in appropriate jugs, that's fine. If you mean leaving mixed chemistry in open trays covered with plastic wrap until you get back in there, that's not so fine. Dump your trays when you're done and rinse them thoroughly.

I appreciate Joe's warnings, but also consider that these chemicals have been tested/re-tested, worked with by photographers AND chemists alike, over many, many decades. Clearly ventilation is an important consideration for a darkroom. We also have numerous household detergents, cleaners, and sprays that contain ye olde skull & crossbone warnings on the back about prolonged inhalation but can be handled safely.

Oh, and should you ever get into toning your B&W prints, ventilation becomes even more important. You must do it in a well-ventilated area or even outside.

Developing, Not Even Once!

$beret.jpg

Most reactions

Back