How is Ilford's health?

Ilovemycam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is Ilford thriving or just getting by and following in the steps of Kodak?

Thriving, they have just brought a new pinhole camera out and started making one use cameras again, they are providing film for Freestyle

Pretty sure they're doing just fine. (They're owned by Harman Technology, BTW.)

From what I understood of the whole Kodak thing, the film side was never in any trouble anyway. When you see Ilford making printers that nobody wants to buy, then it might be time to wonder.

Believe they're privately-held, so no financial statements to pour over but they seem to be right-sized for the current market and well-managed. Who doesn't like their film, paper, chemistry and willingness to take risks with things like the Titan and direct=positive paper. I'm guessing they'll be the last man standing in b&w. Maybe last man standing in film!

Ilford just finished taking orders for ULF (Ultra Large Format) films at the end of June, done annually. If they're continuing to make film in more unusual sizes that seems to be a good sign that they're going to continue on.

From what I understood of the whole Kodak thing, the film side was never in any trouble anyway. /QUOTE] It seems so. Old cliche of creator killed by monster of own design.
At some point I gonna become an Ilford films user, it is still better choice than switch to digital. :lol:

they are in good shape, and in fact recently came out with several new products, including a heavy weight fine art silver paper.

I thought the camera film side of Kodak was now safe. Haven't their UK pension plan bought this out?

Ilford are doing a right roaring trade.

Everyone knows they make A class film, and will continue to do so.

I think film died for a while a couple of years after digital came around, but film seems to be booming at the moment.

EDIT - I live about 15 minutes from Ilford in Mobberley and I always smile when I drive past.

Thriving, they have just brought a new pinhole camera out and started making one use cameras again, they are providing film for Freestyle

On a recent visit to Wales I treated myself to a piggy bank in the shape of an old camera. I didn't know what I was going to be saving for though, and have been putting the odd coin or two in with the vague idea it could be my film fund. Now I know what the money will eventually go on - a Titan pinhole camera!

On a recent visit to Wales I treated myself to a piggy bank in the shape of an old camera. I didn't know what I was going to be saving for though, and have been putting the odd coin or two in with the vague idea it could be my film fund. Now I know what the money will eventually go on - a Titan pinhole camera!

If you want film i have a discount code for Ilford, let me know if you want it you will probably get discount on the camera

I think film died for a while a couple of years after digital came around, but film seems to be booming at the moment.

EDIT - I live about 15 minutes from Ilford in Mobberley and I always smile when I drive past.

Please quantify "booming." Wish it was true but...

http://www.krlretirees.com/News_Items/20120901_US_Film_and_Camera_Sales_1995-2012_-_PMA.pdf

http://pmanewsline.com/2011/06/01/yet-another-article-about-the-decline-of-film/#.UdbFAKzJrFs

http://www.krlretirees.com/News_Items/20120901_US_Film_and_Camera_Sales_1995-2012_-_PMA.pdf

Yet another article about the decline of film

Sorry, your pmanewsline link is 2 full years out of date, and with the amount of film cameras already on the market it's amazing that any new ones are being sold at all.

Yet another article about the decline of film

Everywhere I go I see people rocking film cameras, the pound shops near me are selling it by the tonne, all these hipsters are lapping up film, places light firstcallphotographic in the UK are making millions from selling everything to do with film.

The second hand camera shops in manchester are selling SLRS/Rangefinders quicker than they can get them in, ebay has 1000's of films/cameras/developing tools.

Film is cool right now. I think that will continue for a while to come.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back