How is this effect achieved?

JayPics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard.
Per the forum rules, you are supposed to provide a link, not post the photo unless you have specific permission to post it.

IMO, it looks like it was backlit, overexposed and shot directly into the sun. The yellow may have been added in post.

What ^^^ said or use additional lighting to balance out the exposure.

The effect is a result of understanding exposure. I would meter the light falling on the subject's face and let the background go, then bounce light back into the face with a reflector or add some fill flash, or just experiment with no modification. The sun is intentionally blown out and creating a haze over the image, an effect that can be desirable. The key to it not becoming a silhouette is metering for the face, not the whole scene. Leaving the metering up to the camera will lead to underexposure of the subject.

Can we see the link to the photo? Is it absolutely necessary for the moderators to delete the images completely when they don't comply with the forum rules instead of turning them to links ? Wouldn't that be a lot more productive?

We do - when there is a link that can be left.

However, when someone uploads an image directly from their computer, as was the case here, there is no link we can leave.

We do - when there is a link that can be left.

However, when someone uploads an image directly from their computer, as was the case here, there is no link we can leave.

I see. Thanks!

I would agree with what is already said. They probably just used an additional light source to balance everything out, and possible edited some of the color in later. Good luck shooting the shot. Just out of curiosity what are you taking a picture of?

Backlit image of coarse. Probably partial metering off of the back of her head. That looks like real lens flare though. Tones look realistic to prime time golden hour with a vibrance bump.

"Veiling flare" will brighten shadows in images like this.

"Test images", Jupiter-3 5cm F1.5 on a Contax II.

Attachments

• $flare_testa.jpg
    $flare_testa.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 140
  • $reeds_f15_a.jpg
    $reeds_f15_a.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 141

Most reactions

Back