How is this technique done?

arcooke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
vlcsnap3457958ch6.png

What' I'm referring to is how the background appears larger than it actually is (notice how the sun is so large). I'm just wondering if anyone knows the name of this technique and how it is achieved. This was a snapshot from a movie, so I'm not sure if it's something that only high end expensive movie cameras can do.

Thanks!

Long lens... long lenses compress apparent space.

Oh, thank you. I'm still very new to all of this.

also at different parts of earth's revolution around the sun, it will appear larger, and at different locations at the earth (the same goes for the moon). This is assuming you know how the rotation and revolution works of the bodies of our solar system in relation to our changing seasons. and apparently a larger lense will work too!

The sun (and the moon) look much bigger when closer to the horizon. It's an optical illusion.

A long lense can apear to compress space but it cannot change relative size. What you are seeing is the sun's aparent size being magnified by the atmosphere as it sets. When the sun is low on the horizon, the light has to pass through more of the atmosphere before you see it and the air acts as a lense magnifying the image of the sun that you see. It is the exact same effect that you see when the moon rises and looks enormous on the horizon. As either body goes higher in the sky, its light passes through less atmosphere and the effect is reduced.

Vince

Ah-ha. I found a perfect example image.

Description:
"the top image shows the laundry hanging, but by moving away from the subject and then zooming-in so that it still fits within the same area in the picture results in the background becoming nearer due to the field of view getting narrow"

2553780764_52de9c4eac_b.jpg

Im sure the atmosphere does strange things to the sun and the moon, but to me in regards to the original image is that both the car and obviously the sun are in the distance and the camera is zoomed in. The car looks normal size even at say 300mm but the sun on the other hand, because its so far away, looks even bigger.

I agree

Granted the sun will look bigger because of its position on the horizon but as far as the image result it is because of the use of a long lens. Try it out and take a photograph of a cityscape for example. If you use a wide lens everything will show up at a relative "normal" scale to each other. If you use a longer lens the objects that are further away will be "drawn closer" to the forefront objects and and they will look bigger in relative size.

Hope that makes sense

Ah-ha. I found a perfect example image.

Description:
"the top image shows the laundry hanging, but by moving away from the subject and then zooming-in so that it still fits within the same area in the picture results in the background becoming nearer due to the field of view getting narrow"

2553780764_52de9c4eac_b.jpg

Ok, wow, that's completely tapped. Learn something new every day on this forum.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back