How many people like music?

How much do you like music?

• Yes I love music, I'm a fanatic.

Votes: 35 72.9%
  • I like listening to the radio, not really into it that much.

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • I'm a musician myself.

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters

bace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How many people REALLY like music.

I noticed in the survey thread that almost everyone who has answered knows exactly who their favourite artists are and that they're on a broad range in most cases.

I'm curious, how many of you here REALLY LIKE music.

I find a lot of people I know like to listen to music, but really don't have any favourites. They don't really buy (or download) music, and tend to just like whatever is "popular".

"I like that new tune on the radio ya know 'my lady lumps' or something."

*kills self*

I would like to see if there are any posters who really don't care that much about music.

If you don't know who your favourite artist is. If you don't have many gigs of music on your computer (over 20 for myself, but I don't listen to most of it), or a huge CD collection. Then you don't qualify.

Unless you can come up with your own reasoning. Like you're a musician.

I have a theory. Just trying to get some numbers.

I'm a musician.

sometimes. :wink:

also, yes... I do have my favorites and they aren't very broad.. I'm very picky about what I listen to.

I would say i 'really like' music.... i know what base is saying.... its not that theres a right or wrong style of music to listen to... but more a 'want' to find music that really appeals to you rather than just going with whatever is being played in the charts at any particular time..... i.e. i discovered Biosphere two years ago...and im still a dedicated fan... buy all there albums etc..... but i doubt you would have ever heard of them if you wern't inclined to try and discover and explore your taste in music..... you certainly would never hear them on the radio...(unless john peel was still avile...rip)...
But yea i'v got a decent size collection of music both on cd (some ol vinyl) and on my HD.

core_17 said:
So...I don't love music if I don't love it in your specific terms? :scratch:

Like little man said, come up with you're own reasoning. I know there's people out there that don't know artists or songs titles that well. I'm one of them, but I REALLY like music. For me it can actually affect my mood, give me energy, motivate me, keep me company when I'm depressed.

But then I find there's a lot of people that may listen to the radio on the way to work in the car, but they don't really LOVE music. Like they don't own music, they don't really care to own it and when you ask what their favourite artist is or song, or genre, they don't even know?

I'm wondering if there's a correlation between people who can appreciate art and creativity, because I also find that the people who don't like music, aren't really affected or concerned with any art.

i love music, but i'm nothing compared to half my friends, who have guitars, professional equipment, drum sets, amps, walls of music collections, their own bands, etc.

yeah

panzershreck said:
i love music, but i'm nothing compared to half my friends, who have guitars, professional equipment, drum sets, amps, walls of music collections, their own bands, etc.

yeah

Yeah, see, they're obviously on some next level. That's why I put the option for musicians. However, I like music just as much as them, they just like making it. I just like hearing it.

I love it and am grateful I've always been exposed to a wide variety of it. From singing hymns in church when I was little, to listening to the Beatles and the Beach Boys on my big sister's crappy little transistor radio, to my parents' Frank Sinatra and Judy Garland albums, to learning to listen by taking piano lessons - it was always around me.

And I feel like I was lucky to have grown up in Detroit, where whenever you turned on the radio there was someone amazing coming from Motown Records. :heart:

Love it, can't do without it. Some of the most important people in my life are my crazy musician friends, and I love them dearly. :love: They make me feel less alone in my madness. I never have to explain anything to them.

Alright...well...it's still early, and I was gonna wait til later when I have a better chance of making sense...but..meh...whatever...I'll attempt now.

First, I didn't vote correctly in the poll, because I don't think any of those describe me exactly. I wouldn't describe myself as a fanatic, but I do love music. I would describe the fanatics as those of you who have 40 posts in every one of the music threads that get posted on here. But...I also don't fit into the 'not really into it that much' or 'I'm a musician' categories.

Do I have a favorite artist? I have before, but now, not really...there are tons that I love in a wide array of genres. I've grown up listening to country, so that's definitely what I listen to the most. But...I like older rock and metal a lot, too, along with some more pop-ish/ alternative type stuff...older stuff there, too, mostly. Oh...I like a lot of much older stuff, too...songs like 'Son of a Preacher Man" and "Can't take my eyes off of you" (an all time fave).

Recently, thanks to Joe and Lilman, I've gotten into classical, too. "The Red Violin" by Joshua Bell is just about the absolute most beautiful music I've ever heard.

For the most part, when it comes to individual favorite songs, I like things I can sing to (even though I suck at singing and have an ugly voice)...because...just like you said about music changing your mood...it does that same to me, but actually singing does so even more. Not much can put me in as good of a mood as singing can. So...that being true, much of the music I have is country...and it's country from the 90's! One my repeating playlist lately, (as chat knows all too well) is...

Fishin' in the Dark -Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
To make you feel my love -Garth Brooks
My Baby Loves Me -Martina McBride (that's also my ringtone when Erik calls! :lol: )
Meet in the Middle -Diamond Rio
Son of a Preacher Man -uh..can't remember..is that Aretha?
Can't take my eyes off of you -Frankie Vallie
She don't know she's beautiful -Sammy Kershaw
....and about 20 others.

So...I don't think I fall into any of your categories, but I think I love music.

o.k. now I can reply better. Darn phones.

I have been into music since I was young. Started playing drums when I was 14, and did the bar circuit, schtuff like that. But...music for me, is still a big part of every day .
I have over 800 record albums(yeah, I used to collect vinyl), some really rare stuff. Then along came the Cds, and I have over 300 of them and about 200 cassettes.
I will listen to anything with a catchy melody, or lyric, except k'Rap. Mostly I listen to Classic Rock, Metal, Hard rock.
I wake up to music on my alarm, I have my Cds in the car, a radio on at work, then back to the car, and as soon as I get home, I slap on an MP3 player when I walk the dog or when Im out with the camera.
Way too many songs to list that I can listen to over and over again. I just really love music, whether Im playing it with a band, or just listening to it.

I think another question is: Do you love music but hate the crap they play on the radio?:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back