How many photos can I take?

When a company rates a shutter, they test it to however many actuations, to make sure it won't fail. That doesn't mean it will fail immediatly at 10,001. It means they didn't bother to test beyond that. For cheaper cameras, they use cheaper parts. I know for a fact that the original digital rebel, 300D, had a shutter rated to 10k shots.

All these numbers sound depressingly low. The wife shot 2,000 photos on her new D70S at the last event we shot this year. I'm not looking forward to the possiblity of replacing bodies in just two or three years' time (I'm notoriously cheap).

You have to realize that an $800 digital SLR is a low end model. As nice as things are today, and as seemingly expensive as that is, it's really not when you compare it to a $30,000 39mp digital back. The 39mp back is pro equipment. The D50 is not.

Will it fail after 10k shots? Probably not. Will it go to 100k, or more? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Is their a meter buried somewhere in the software?

My best guess on my F4s is between 80K and 90K exposures.

LWW

I've got a Coolpix L4 and have taken 10,200 something pictures in less than 6 months.

I would say since mine is a lower quality camera (meaning not a (D)SLR) it wouldn't last as long...so I've already got that many so.....

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back