How much do you guys use your Ultra Wide Angle lenses? I am getting bored of mine..

Nikon_Josh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I used to be an ultra wide angle lens junkie but in recent times I am starting to become irritated by the distortion that I used to love. It is starting to look as cliche and as special effect to me as overcooked HDR's do. It may just be one of my phases! :lol: I am finding I am getting much more desirable effects using my 18-55 VR. Don't get me wrong I like going wide still and love landscape photography but my Sigma 10-20 is starting to take a back seat in my camera bag due to the fact I am finding 10-15mm is only of use under special circumstances i.e. when you have a foreground worth emphasising.

Maybe I have also seen too many sample UWA images from people who claim their work is effective due to the bulging distortion visable.

So I thought I'd begin a little debate.. How often do you guys use your UWA lenses? And is it just me that is starting to find the 'UWA crazy distortion' look a bit cliche in the same way overcooked HDR images have become a bit tedious?

I know this may be quite a controversial question to ask as I know most of TPF's members love their UWA lenses. *hides*

I use mine quite often, but routinely 'correct' much of the distortion in post.

I try to use my lenses appropriately. I use my 10-22mm when I need to be in the range of 10-22mm in order to get all of something in the frame, or if I want to accent something with the distortion that lens can provide if used for that purpose. Byond that, I don't really get the question.

Ultra-wide is not something I'd keep on my camera all day, but it isn't something I'd want to be without when the situation calls for (if that makes sense). I love my 16-35 because it allows me to get those shots that would have been impossible otherwise, and the perspective distortion can lead to a more intestesting composition that you have to work for. It will definitely be in my travel bag at all times.

Sold my Tokin a 11-16 when i went full frame. However I did a photo-session with a lady and her new BMW and it was the 1st time in ages I wished I had something wider than my 24-70 for the effect.

Usually I shoot the ladies without their BMW's and don't see me replacing it =)

My 14-24mm f/2.8 almost never comes off my camera. Well that's because my 24-70 is has been in repair for 1 month now.

I used my 10-24 primarily for landscapes.... so never really had issues like you mention. My 14-24 is sitting at home right now in it's box unopened while I am on the road for the company. I can't wait to use it on my D800!

But like Buckster said above, I only use UWA when I need it.. and distortion usually is not an issue with the shots I do.

This reminds me I should probably sell my Nikkor 12-24mm f/4 because I never use it anymore.

This reminds me I should probably take my Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 out for a spin because I haven't used it in a while.

This reminds me I should probably sell my Nikkor 12-24mm f/4 because I never use it anymore.

This reminds me I should probably take my Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 out for a spin because I haven't used it in a while.

Yes there is a part of me wondering if I should sell my 10-20 and 18-55 VR and use the cash to get me a Sigma 17-50 2.8! :drool:I've always wanted to own a fast wide to mid range zoom.

This is why I went with the 16-35 instead of the 14-24; it's not a range I use very often, but it is one that I want to be able to use when I need it. IMO, UWA is today, an essential part of a well rounded kit (as opposed to 25 years ago when 20mm was, "Holy crap, you've got HOW wide????").

It seems as if you are looking through the wrong end of the lens, so to speak.

Instead of looking for specific uses for a given lens, why not simply concentrate on the type of photography you want to do, and let the lenses fall where they may?

I don't even have a wide angle less, much less uwa. I'm happy with my 24-85 on crop sensor.

Last edited:
I use my UWA lens all the time (14-24 atm). I shoot mostly nature though so the distortion isnt bothersome.

I don't even have a wide angle less, much less uwa. I'm happy with my 24-85 on crop sensor.

I have to agree. On a recent one week trip to Las Vegas i only used my Nikon 24-120 f4.... But at the Grand canyon I would have liked the ability to down to 16mm... Which is why I'm going to pick up a 16-35L II for my Canon 60D at the end of the year :D

Most reactions

Back