How much latitude does negative film and digital have?

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I feel like a newbie here asking this, but I just want to confirm somethiing. I did a google on this before posting but I didnt find anything that looked right.

I think negative film has a latatude of 7 stops, and digital of 4 or 5 stops, but I could be wrong here. And im not sure how many are for under and over exposing. I think film is good for 3 under, 4 over and digital is good for 3 under 1 or 2 over.

Could anyone confirm/correct me on this? I know it can range of different film and different iso's, so lets assume general consumer Fuji 400iso film.

BW neg film 10 stop exposure range, although some claim to get up to 15 stops with arcane darkroom procedures. ;)

Color neg film 7 stops.

Color trans film around 5 stops.

I think it's generally accepted that the current DSLRs are getting at least 5, and probably 6 stops.

You can probably get away with a 2 stop under or overexposure with BW neg film, and print it so you can't tell.

With color neg it's probably around a stop in either direction.

With transparency I think 1/3 stop over exposure or 2/3 under exposure starts to look bad.

I was just at a seminar on digital photography where the "expert" said most DSLRs can handle a 5/8th stop under exposure to 3/8th over, or about the same as slide film. Of course with digital it is very easy to correct exposure errors greater than that. But if you want to nail it, he says you've got to be in that range.

Thanks for the info. What about consumer digital cameras?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back