How much money should I ask for my work?

User3536

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
A few days I volunteered at a event where I was helping a photographer. I just had to confirm some personal already provided at the event managers ( not photographer) and add some new information from the clients requested by the photographer. I worked hard collecting data for 10 hours and promoted the photographer's business even though I didn't have to.
Anyway today photographer tells me that file has no data even though it was saved more then a dozen times by me and another volunteer. Anyway I told him I also wrote names (first name only at times) so I knew who taking the photo so he could refer to the hand copy and match up against the list provided by the event manager which includes client emails. It might be difficult but it can be done.
Now the photographer wants me to go through 500+ photo and match the names with photos. Now I can do it but it's a lot of work and my volunteer assignment was done days ago. So I was going to ask him to pay me for my work. It's not easy going through 500+ photos and match against the names which is partly complete . Anyway what rate should I charge the photographer? Should I charge my hour or flat rate?

Depends. The photographer probably thinks you're still "volunteering"

Well considering it was work that was supposed to be done by a volunteer, as a photographer working the event, expecting this completed, I'd expect to pay nothing extra. Perhaps the photographer lowered his rate for the event as the organizers told him a volunteer would do it. He therefore technically already "paid" for your services to the event organizers. Not knowing the facts, it's hard to be certain, but I doubt he'd be too pleased to fork out more money. (He may have volunteered his services as well, in which case now he's expected to pay for performing services to the event for free?)

The photographer was paid by the event manager. And photographer confirmed he replaced the file accidentally because he moving files with the same name between his USB and hard drive. so content was lost. I did my work 100% by collecting the client information and saving it. So I would be charging for extra work since volunteering event has ended.

Last edited:
I would only add to bring this up with the Event Manager too for his support.

The photographer was paid by the event manager. And photographer confirmed he replaced the file accidentally because he moving files with the same name between his USB and hard drive. so content was lost. I did my work 100% by collecting the client information and saving it. So I would be charging for extra work since volunteering event has ended.

It's useful to include all the relevant material when you first ask the question here.
You did your job before - as a volunteer.
If the work is doable by anyone, quote whatever price you want and let the photographer decide who should do it.

You did the work. The photographer lost it, Now another job has to be done to correct the photographer's mistake. Charge what you think it is worth - your hourly rate does not seem excessive - or don't charge. If you don't charge you are doing more than you are morally obligated to do. If you charge you should not feel guilty; you are not doing less than you are obligated to do.

In calculating your rate, remember that this is low-end work, not skilled labor.

I'd also bear in mind if I could be doing something that wasn't low-end work in the time that it will take. If I could then I'd charge what I'd otherwise be earning. Why should the person correcting the mistake lose out?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back