How much to charge?

LiveStrong2009

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have finally had a hit on my minimal advertising. Somebody has requested that I take a photo of a doctor, which will be published. The entire gig should take around 30 mins.

How do you determine what the cost should be?
What would you charge?

That depends entirely on how the photo will be used, if the doc comes to me, or if I have to go to the doc.

If you are advertising, I think I would have already thought this one through. A business should have a business model and this should all be laid out. I would start figuring this out before doing anymore adversiting.

What's your experience like? You haven't had any paid gigs... So have you done any pro bono photography to build a portfolio? The rates are usually something you should figure out before you start advertising...

Well, I suppose you are correct. As you can see, I am very inexperienced and am really just looking for a ballpark on where to begin.

This event would involve me driving about 30 mins roundtrip to the doctor's office, taking pics with him for 30 mins, and then providing the files to him.

Well, I suppose you are correct. As you can see, I am very inexperienced and am really just looking for a ballpark on where to begin.

This event would involve me driving about 30 mins roundtrip to the doctor's office, taking pics with him for 30 mins, and then providing the files to him.

Do you have fast lenses or off camera flash if not it may not be possible to do the shoot indoors

Do you have fast lenses or off camera flash if not it may not be possible to do the shoot indoors

that totally depends on the time of day and where indoors he's shooting. a kit lens could be used indoors without an issue if the conditions cater to the limitations of the lens.

that totally depends on the time of day and where indoors he's shooting. a kit lens could be used indoors without an issue if the conditions cater to the limitations of the lens.

I wouldn't want to be using a kit lens

In this instance you are not doing retail portraiture, you are doing commercial photography and that is a totally different business model.

Usage drives the total invoice. The normal model is to charge a creative fee and sell a use license.

Lets look at your time involvement:
  • pre-shoot activites (initial client consultation, gear prep and loading, unloading and set-up on location) - 30 minutes
  • travel to - 30 minutes
  • shoot - 30 minutes
  • teardown, loading, unloading, set-up - 30 minutes
  • travel back - 30 minutes
  • upload, post process, burn CD- 30 minutes
Minumum, thats 3 hours, so be sure your time is paid for.
www.cradoc.com check out fotoQuote Pro 6 stock photography pricing software. Visit www.ASMP.com to learn about use licensing (Business Resources, on the left.)

Headshot for 12 months of web use only (no other usage) - $250 per image
Up to half page use in a brochure (5000 copy print run) $500 per image.

I'd charge $250 which does not include any post production work.
This is a commercial gig. Charging by the hour is standard unless you are doing advertising shoots ( product,etc.) then you charge by the hour plus negotiate the usage fees.
What is he doing with this image? This is something that you must know before you can determine how much the fee will be.

What's your experience like? You haven't had any paid gigs... So have you done any pro bono photography to build a portfolio? The rates are usually something you should figure out before you start advertising...

I think this is good advice. When I started doing
ring and pinions (gears) I did the first 2 for pretty
much nothing. Once I felt confident, then I could
charge $2-3 hundred per axle. Heck, now I can knock
a pinion seal out for $20 bucks. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back