how much to charge?

Abstract

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ive been asked to do a couple of pet portrait shoots and have been asked how much it will cost them now I have no idea what to charge, I don't want to charge much as I'm only learning but I need to make sure I cover my costs... they were impressed with the photos I showed them thats how I got the shoots... any help would be much appreciated!!

You could always phone round a few profesionals, and as for a quote (as if you wanted a shoot done), then that would give you an idea as to what they charge. Then go from there as to how much you think you think you should charge. :D Good luck with the shoot.

ooh thats a clever idea LOL why didn't I think of that!! :lmao:

that is probably your best option, to search around and see what professionals charge. It would be better for you to charge a bit less than them though, since you arent a professional.

thebeginning said:
that is probably your best option, to search around and see what professionals charge. It would be better for you to charge a bit less than them though, since you arent a professional.
don't worry I have no intention of charging a professional fee

A good starting point is to figure what your time is worth. Then figure the cost of materials used +15%.

Your time is a tough deal to figure out. Do not sell your self short. Keep in mind that people will pay for quality work. Choose between an hourly rate or a per session deal.

I am afraid that this may be a little vague. Personally the projects I work on involve a lot bidding and negotiating before the work starts. That is fine by me because in the end things work out well for everyone. Generally speaking of course.

I do interiors and product stills, so talk to someone in the portrait game. I think the number one rule is to make sure that everyone is clear on the fees and terms of usage before the work starts.

If it's a family friend I don't think you should charge em... but if they're random people then charge away!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back