How sensitive is the optical trigger on the YN560II?

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've finally come to accept that if I wait until I can afford a good flash, I might be waiting a LOOOONG time. I logged onto my bank account today and realized I had about $55 in rewards, so I think I'm gonna blow it on a YN560II to tide me over while I wait. I am wondering if my cameras pop up flash will be strong enough to trigger it in slave mode, or if I will need a hotshoe adapter and a PC sync cord.

My pop up flash is guide number 7.

If that won't work, how do I know which PC cord to order?

Here is the adapter I'm looking at
http://www.amazon.com/Pixel-Flash-A...TF8&colid=12USR0B52WQET&coliid=I2PYA3UO4G3D78

Would I need a male to male or male to female cord?

Thanks in advance!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The YN560's are all very good flashes. I actually prefer my 560III over my Nikon SB800 that cost over 4 times more.

Your pop-up flash will trigger it no problem IF you're using it indoors. In sunlit conditions the range drops down quickly. The other day I had one set up in a gymnasium on slave mode and someones iphone flash was triggering it from about 100 feet away. I bet they weren't very happy when they realized all their photos were blown out from my flash LOL.

I've finally come to accept that if I wait until I can afford a good flash, I might be waiting a LOOOONG time. I logged onto my bank account today and realized I had about $55 in rewards, so I think I'm gonna blow it on a YN560II to tide me over while I wait. I am wondering if my cameras pop up flash will be strong enough to trigger it in slave mode, or if I will need a hotshoe adapter and a PC sync cord.

My pop up flash is guide number 7.

If that won't work, how do I know which PC cord to order?

Here is the adapter I'm looking at
Amazon.com: Pixel Flash Hot shoe Adapter for Sony Alpha A900 A850 A750 A700 A550 A500 A380 A350 A330 A300 as FS-1100: Camera & Photo

Would I need a male to male or male to female cord?

Thanks in advance!

I use a 565 myself, it's a great flash. Been very happy with it overall.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The YN560's are all very good flashes. I actually prefer my 560III over my Nikon SB800 that cost over 4 times more. Your pop-up flash will trigger it no problem IF you're using it indoors. In sunlit conditions the range drops down quickly. The other day I had one set up in a gymnasium on slave mode and someones iphone flash was triggering it from about 100 feet away. I bet they weren't very happy when they realized all their photos were blown out from my flash LOL.
Your sn made me giggle!! Thanks for the information. I don't think they make the III with a sony hotshot so I've got to stick with the II! I'll definitely Invest in a PC sync cord at some point, I just didn't want to get the flash and end up with it being useless off camera to start with! I'll be sure to keep my iPhone away from it. :)

Will having an ocf trigger it do too much to the shot? Sony told me when asking about their little $200 trigger flash that the stronger flash would overpower it completely and you wouldn't even see the trigger. Is that accurate?

...Will having an ocf trigger it do too much to the shot? Sony told me when asking about their little $200 trigger flash that the stronger flash would overpower it completely and you wouldn't even see the trigger. Is that accurate?

The light from your pop flash may have an adverse effect on the shot, however there is an alternative: You can use a PC cord (available in lengths from 2 to 100') and one of these in your camera's hot-shoe to trigger the speedlight without using the pop-up flash. That said, there are lots of time when using the pop-up flash can be beneficial (since you effectively have a two-light set-up).

I've triggered the YN560 indoors with the pop-up flash without any real line-of-sight of the flash itself...

The light from your pop flash may have an adverse effect on the shot, however there is an alternative: You can use a PC cord (available in lengths from 2 to 100') and one of these in your camera's hot-shoe to trigger the speedlight without using the pop-up flash. That said, there are lots of time when using the pop-up flash can be beneficial (since you effectively have a two-light set-up).

Are you able to tell me if I need a male to male or a male to female PC cord? I'm having trouble telling just from pictures.
I've triggered the YN560 indoors with the pop-up flash without any real line-of-sight of the flash itself...

That's pretty neat! Now I'm excited to give it a shot! (As if I a want before) ;-)

Yep. If there are sufficiently reflective and/or light colored surfaces involved the flash of light can bounce allowing some limited out-of-sight optical triggering.

Often a key is making sure the light sensing detector on the out of sight flash unit is oriented in the direction bounced light will be coming from.

Are you able to tell me if I need a male to male or a male to female PC cord? I'm having trouble telling just from pictures.

Yea, me too. You do have to look at the fittings that are on your units, but since I don't know the difference myself, I suggest that you send a PM to Derrel.

I can trigger my YN560 inside the brolly box with the pop-up flash.

That's pretty neat! Now I'm excited to give it a shot! (As if I a want before) ;-)

It should be M-F, but as I've never used a Yongnuo speedlight, I can't say for certain. Hopefully someone who does know for sure will chime in.

My 560III has a female PC connector on it (I assume the II is the same) and it appears that the hot shoe adapter you linked in the OP has the same female connection so..... you would need a standard male PC -to- male PC cord to connect everything. Lot's of differnets lengths to choose from.

FYI, the female PC connector has a hole in the very center and the male has a "prong" in the very center that inserts into the female counterpart. Ahem. :oops:

Thanks for all your help guys! I think I'll go ahead and start with the flash and see how well I can trigger it optically then and add in the PC cord when I decide I really need it.....now it's a waiting game for the bank to actually send me my rewards....tick took.

A pair of RF-603s (or alike) won't break the bank...I could never see myself using cords.

and the YN560II *IS* a good flash unit

Last edited:
True, when you add up the costs of the hot shoe adapter and PC cords it might make more sense to just buy a set of RF-603s for $30 and be done with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back