how the heck...

M

MDowdey

can i take a really long picture and darken the ends of the pic so they blend with a black background? i tried a gradient but it lightens the other side...

help!!!

md

One way would be to make a new graphic a bit taller than the long one and around half (adjust for how much you want to fade the ends) as wide.

Apply your grad to the new pic, drag it to the long pic as a new layer, and adjust the position.

Flip the grad pic and do the drag/adjust thing again.

Should work.

it sounds like it should do the trick, but to be honest bug, im not sure how to go about doing that. ive only had ps for a couple of months...

thanks!!

md

post the pic up here so we can have a play with it :) There are couple things you can do but i'll know best if I actually see the image. ;)

banner.jpg

have you ever watched a movie that was in widescreen? thats what im trying to do. I want one side of it darkened so it blends in with a black background then i want the pic itself to be all the way to the left of the screen so the right side belnds in with the black background. am I dreaming on this or what

md

bug, originally i had wanted both sides, but now the more i look at it i would love to have it fade off to one side....

i know im being impossible but i have this image in my head and I cant seem to create in reality.

md

banner.jpg

Is this what you are looking for?

1. Create an empty layer above the image, use the gradient tool with black and white.
2. use the airbrush eraser to to get rid of the whitest parts
3. set the opacity to somewhere bwteen 80-90% of the gradient layer
4. in the picture layer below use the burn tun (looks like a hand doing the ok symbol)
5. make sure you have the options palette open (for pshop 5.5) and burn the edges. Try burning use all three options highlights/midtones/shadows.

Actually a better option would be to change the gradient from white to black to transparent to black. Vonnagy's on the right track but it also creates a flare of sorts from the white.

thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks!!!

now if i could only find some friends who were good at frontpage2003,, ::cough:: :::cough:::

md

MDowdey said:
now if i could only find some friends who were good at frontpage2003,, ::cough:: :::cough:::
Don't know how to use Frontpage but if you are interested in creating a website I might be able to help. I've done a few basic websites if that's what you want.

i think i might have have found what i was looking for, but if i need any help later i will definately ask you!

md

Most reactions

Back