How to compete with other photography

There is a good reason the competitors offer a $25 "mini session". It is because once the client is there in front of the camera, they then sell the client an "enhanced" photo session for which they will charge more. There's nothing quite like getting clients in the door, even if you are offering them a loss leader. You have to bone up on your sales techniques as well as your photography skills.

That reminds me of JCPenney/Sears places that advertise a reduced price/free photo (back when I used them once or twice). You come in and then they try their sales tactics on you to spend alot money.

but I think the OP is just trying to develop a more legit business model. One based on a fair product for price paid and not complete against the $25 "I got a camera for christmas" business model. :)

but improving once sales and photography skills is key
I actually wouldn't have a problem with this. you can give someone a more comprehensive package and more value on a upsell more tailored to their individual wants and needs. The loss leader is getting them in the door. People are naturally attracted to lower prices (even if it isn't in their best interest). I don't even have a problem with people that upsell to me, as sometimes the upsell is a better value than what I originally wanted and more fitting to my needs. I actually wait for it. Me personally, I wouldn't consider this nonlegit just a marketing approach. As long as you are providing for your clients needs and offering a viable product that could be in their best interest.
sales has a really bad reputation and it is somewhat undeserved.

what could be worse, is no upselling, no loss leader, and having your customer leaving with a product that didn't fill their needs. Now, you just took their money without servicing them correctly. And they may not realize it at first as you also failed to educate them. But when they do they probably wont come back. To me that would be MUCH worse. There is a difference between pushing a product, and pushing a product in your customers best interest that they will be satisfied with longer term. Because it is the next day, the next week, the next month how they remember the transaction and what they received that is important. Often 25, 50 or whatever dollar difference wont be near as important in the aftermath but what they have in their hands and how well they feel their needs were meant after time goes by for them to think about it.
but wtfdik

"so joe, I remember you said you used xxxx photography. Did you like them?"

joe: "well, the price was pretty good. "

"so would you suggest we use them?"

joe;" I guess they were okay, I mean the price was okay, photos okay. They really didn't offer me much in the way of what I was looking for. you might want to try xxxy instead I think they have more options and just seem better")

(joe cant really figure out why he isn't happy with the transaction, the price was okay. He just knows he isn't and it shows when asked. whoever sold to joe never found out what joe wanted and serviced his needs with a equivalent product selection). He wasn't upsold, but WORSE. He wasn't educated or serviced correctly. All he left with was a good price and after that initial moment it just wasn't enough as his actual needs were not met.

Last edited:
There is a good reason the competitors offer a $25 "mini session". It is because once the client is there in front of the camera, they then sell the client an "enhanced" photo session for which they will charge more. There's nothing quite like getting clients in the door, even if you are offering them a loss leader. You have to bone up on your sales techniques as well as your photography skills.

That reminds me of JCPenney/Sears places that advertise a reduced price/free photo (back when I used them once or twice). You come in and then they try their sales tactics on you to spend alot money.

but I think the OP is just trying to develop a more legit business model. One based on a fair product for price paid and not complete against the $25 "I got a camera for christmas" business model. :)

but improving once sales and photography skills is key

Of course I was not suggesting that to the OP, but by explaining the competition's lure, I was hoping to educate the OP to the rest of the story. Whether anybody thinks that is a good idea is entirely up to the business person.

Hopefully the OP will not be deluded into to thinking that the competition subsists on only the $25 mini sessions alone.

My favorite method is to offer something rather unique. There aren't many photographers around here offering the same services I do-in fact, I haven't run into any, but there's got to be a few of them around here somewhere. You want pictures of a baby? Well, you've got 14,000 choices. Wedding? 7,000. Commercial/product? 12. Find some unpopulated area that there is a demand for and you'll be much happier. Competing detracts from the other things you could be doing.

I know this will sound rude.. But I did take a look at your images and I wouldnt say they are good quality. If I spent $25 I'd be like ok I got what I paid for. But I don't think you can be charging big $ for your pictures at the moment. If I paid good money for pictures I'd want good quality and life in the pictures or I'd be disappointed. There's a few of your images on Facebook I think is ok.

Im not no professional.. Just for me looking at them there's nothing grabbing me.

I know this will sound rude.. But I did take a look at your images and I wouldnt say they are good quality. If I spent $25 I'd be like ok I got what I paid for. But I don't think you can be charging big $ for your pictures at the moment. If I paid good money for pictures I'd want good quality and life in the pictures or I'd be disappointed. There's a few of your images on Facebook I think is ok.

Im not no professional.. Just for me looking at them there's nothing grabbing me.

I'm not a professional either. But on the Facebook page, there are shots with people's heads partially cut off, feet cut off, the highlights on many of them seem blown out, and strange skin tones. As a consumer, I couldn't tell the difference between your photos and a hobbyist. I suggest reading a couple of books on portrait photography and composition. Maybe a book on post processing. I hope that I don't sound arrogant, since I continuously have to read new books to improve myself.

In my area there are a dozen photographers, most are little more than hobby level. Two are just horrible (one laughably so,) two are very good. I compete by providing more of a professional experience for my clients. While others are showing up with a kit lens, I show up with a variety of lenses. My bag never has less than 1/2 a dozen lenses in it. I use off camera flash almost exclusively. I usually a speedlight or two on stands and an assistant moving around with a triple speedlight mount on a monopod. The variety of lenses allows me to take shots that others can't.

I did some senior portraits for a girl on a railroad trestle. While it is a common location with local photographers, I shot alot of the session from a bridge that crossed the same ravine 100 yards away using my 500mm lens. Everyone could recognize the location but were in awe of the angles. With my assistant helping me with my remote speedlights and reflectors I provided my client with something unique.

Last night I was hired to shoot a birthday for a woman turning 80. Shot the whole party with nothing but off camera flash. Used some longer exposures but with flash. No other local is using these techniques for Quinceaneras, Parties or Weddings. Being unique has gotten me huge word of mouth business.

The OP has not returned since April 16[SUP]th[/SUP], it must have got too hot in the kitchen.

Most reactions

Back