How to copyright? Is there a specific order?

Sardine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've started adding little copyright things to my photos, because I reckon I'm improving, and I don't want anyone stealing my work. I have trust issues. Even though they could crop it out in most of my photos, I still feel better when I have something saying it belongs to me.

My question is is there a specific order one should use when putting a copyright line on an image? I.e. YOUR NAME (C) DATE, or DATE (C) YOUR NAME, or (C) YOUR NAME DATE etc. And should one say "All rights reserved" at the end of the line? What does that mean?

Thanks for the help! :thumbup:

I've started adding little copyright things to my photos, because I reckon I'm improving, and I don't want anyone stealing my work. I have trust issues. Even though they could crop it out in most of my photos, I still feel better when I have something saying it belongs to me.

My question is is there a specific order one should use when putting a copyright line on an image? I.e. YOUR NAME (C) DATE, or DATE (C) YOUR NAME, or (C) YOUR NAME DATE etc. And should one say "All rights reserved" at the end of the line? What does that mean?

Thanks for the help! :thumbup:
Each country has it's own laws but they all relate because of the Berne Convention.

Here in the US the proper format is: © YEAR Copyright Owners Name All Rights Reserved.
The statement 'All Rights Reserved' is not required in the US but is in most of the rest of the world so it's a good idea for yanks to use it too.

The copyright symbol is required in most countries. You type the copyright symbol by holding down the Alt key while entering 0169 on the number pad. If you have a laptop, Number Lock must be turned on for this to work.

can you just slap a copyright symbol on your photo and you're good? or do you need to go through some legal or business process?

Each country has it's own laws but they all relate because of the Berne Convention.

Here in the US the proper format is: © YEAR Copyright Owners Name All Rights Reserved.
The statement 'All Rights Reserved' is not required in the US but is in most of the rest of the world so it's a good idea for yanks to use it too.

The copyright symbol is required in most countries. You type the copyright symbol by holding down the Alt key while entering 0169 on the number pad. If you have a laptop, Number Lock must be turned on for this to work.

KmH said:
Be wary of copyright information you receive online. Most of it is well intentioned but highly suspect.

Copyright in countries that signed the Berne convention is automatic, so you don't need a © or a "All Rights Reserved" or a ...

For the few countries that haven't signed the Berne convention you'll have to look up the national legislation.

Alright, cool. Thanks! :D

can you just slap a copyright symbol on your photo and you're good? or do you need to go through some legal or business process?
I think you can register them if you want.

I was about to apply this assuming you were in the United States. You aren't. In any case, if you are somehow able to find someone who has taken your image for whatever reason, you can refer to THEIR copyright law as well as yours. Generally though if you have no legal authority (treaties, etc.) with the offending persons country, you're going to have to rely on THEIR copyright law.

Note: the statement 'All Rights Reserved' is assumed in the United States. But required just about everywhere else in the world as part of the copyright declaration.

As stated, images don't need the declaration written on them to BE copyrighted.

Feature this:
In the United States if your image is infringed and you have not registered your copyright with the U. S. Copyright Office......... You cannot sue for infringement under Federal law............
However, you have 3 months to register your copyright.
Further, if you miss the 3 month deadline you can still sue but only for your actual lost profits, you bear the burden of proof of those lost profits and you cannot recover costs and attorney fee's.
If the infringer can prove they were truely not aware they were infringing, the court has the discretion to award you the princely sum of......$200, out of which you have to pay your attorney fee's (attorneys love that part)....:lmao::lmao:
If your attorney can prove the infringement was willful (they knew full well they were infringing your image and did it anyway), the court is allowed to award as much as $150,000 per infringed image.

I was about to apply this assuming you were in the United States. You aren't. In any case, if you are somehow able to find someone who has taken your image for whatever reason, you can refer to THEIR copyright law as well as yours. Generally though if you have no legal authority (treaties, etc.) with the offending persons country, you're going to have to rely on THEIR copyright law.
Nope, South Africa :)
Ok...

Note: the statement 'All Rights Reserved' is assumed in the United States. But required just about everywhere else in the world as part of the copyright declaration.

As stated, images don't need the declaration written on them to BE copyrighted.

Feature this:
In the United States if your image is infringed and you have not registered your copyright with the U. S. Copyright Office......... You cannot sue for infringement under Federal law............
However, you have 3 months to register your copyright.
Further, if you miss the 3 month deadline you can still sue but only for your actual lost profits, you bear the burden of proof of those lost profits and you cannot recover costs and attorney fee's.
If the infringer can prove they were truely not aware they were infringing, the court has the discretion to award you the princely sum of......$200, out of which you have to pay your attorney fee's (attorneys love that part)....:lmao::lmao:
If your attorney can prove the infringement was willful (they knew full well they were infringing your image and did it anyway), the court is allowed to award as much as $150,000 per infringed image.

What does "All rights reserved" actually mean? :confused:
Wow, that's a lot of cash...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back