How to deal with expensive lenses you only use a handful of times throughout the year

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A while ago, I bought the 105 2.8G VR lens and it was probably my most expensive piece of glass I ever bought so far, I know some of you have spent way, way more. But while I absolutely love this lens, I don't use it as much as I thought I'd would but for those shots when I need a macro or need sharp details or portraits, I'm glad I bought it. But most of the time, it just hangs out in my bag...so my question is, how do you deal with thought of buying an expensive lens that you only use a handful of times through the year?

I know we can't use all our lenses at the same time, it depends on the situation so that's why It's good to have a good variety of lenses available for those certain situations. But I'm sure some of you know exactly how I feel about spending this amount of money on a lens that you only use every so often. It's like buying a Ferrari and leaving it parked in the garage to only be driven 3 times a year.

I bought my Sigma 12-24mm thinking I will do real estate but the stars didnt lead me this way, its also a natural companion for landscape trips but sadly gets little use.
Still I like it and currently dont plan on selling it so I have it in my glass cabinet in my room waiting to be use.
In my carry bag I always have 3 lenses Nikon 24-70mm, Tamron 70-200mm and 50mm 1.8

The only reason you're not using that lens ... Is because you're not using that lens.

Seriously, slap that lens on the camera and start shooting. Focal lengths do not determine subject matter. It is imagination and creativity which limits our vision, not our equipment.

Well ... I cant see anything needs to be done ?

You're obviously happy about having that lens, even if you dont use it as often as other lenses. Thats all thats needed, right ?

A while ago, I bought the 105 2.8G VR lens and it was probably my most expensive piece of glass I ever bought so far, I know some of you have spent way, way more. But while I absolutely love this lens, I don't use it as much as I thought I'd would but for those shots when I need a macro or need sharp details or portraits, I'm glad I bought it. But most of the time, it just hangs out in my bag...so my question is, how do you deal with thought of buying an expensive lens that you only use a handful of times through the year?

I know we can't use all our lenses at the same time, it depends on the situation so that's why It's good to have a good variety of lenses available for those certain situations. But I'm sure some of you know exactly how I feel about spending this amount of money on a lens that you only use every so often. It's like buying a Ferrari and leaving it parked in the garage to only be driven 3 times a year.

That's exactly how most people would use a Ferrari.
You're not going to work in it and parking it "around".
You're not going shopping with it. :) It's a toy.

You obviously can/could afford the 105 lens and if you already had every lens that you NEED
often (that would be 24-70 and 70-200 in my bag for example).. so.. why not? If you got that lens
and needed something else, then you've got an issue. :)

That's exactly why I can't make myself buy the 85 1.8.. I know it might be better then 70-200 for
some work, but I don't want another lens to think about.

I dont keep lenses I dont use. It's easy to find what you want if you need it.

Put it in a different bag.

Seriously.
I have one BIG camera bag which I use to store most of my stuff in.
I then pull out what I need and in a smaller bag for carry.

I don't need my UWA when I go out take photos of aircraft/birds with my 150-600, and vice versa.
I don't need my UWA when I do sports with the 80-200/2.8
I use my UWA when I do building or car shows, no reason to bring the 80-200 nor 150-600.
studio stuff ... 50/85, 80-200 etc

I don't see a reason to bring all the camera lenses with oneself all the time.
And if you use them. Then they are worth having.

You can always ask yourself this.
If you did not have the 105 what would you use in it's place for macro, etc. ?
AND, is that other lens good enough for what you do ... if so, then you don't need the 105.

hey ... I have a car I barely drive as it used to be a show car. BUT I enjoy driving it those few times a year I have it. So I don't see your analogy. If you don't enjoy using it even the few times you do for the price (or continued price) you paid for it, then get rid of it.

This is probably why guys who have been shooting longer often only have a few quality lenses. At one stage I thought I needed everything that got a good review. Now I know that I only want them

I probably should sell my guitar then, lol. Bought back in 2008 and played it for a few years and then decided it wasn't for me and been sitting in its case in the closest since.

I probably should sell my guitar then, lol. Bought back in 2008 and played it for a few years and then decided it wasn't for me and been sitting in its case in the closest since.
Either that or buy a couple more to keep it company in the closet :)

yeah I sell everything I dont use. Sometimes I regret it, but I dont like money just sitting there. Lenses are easy to come by, I should sell my 50mm. I bought it recently but it's not a focal length I like being stuck with. I can put my 24-70 to 50mm at 2.8 and get it close enough if I need to.

I shoot at 135mm a lot however, so a 135mm prime would probably have more use. That would probably be my next lens.

I'll be honest here...lately..I've been thinking about selling my camera and lenses and doing something completely different, like maybe getting the Fuji X-Pro 2 and a few nice Fuji lenses. But I don't know if it would be a smart decision or not.

I bought a P7800 and use that a lot.
It was much more useful than my Nikon d7000 which just sat around doing nothing as I use the D600.
So I sold the D7000.
It all depends upon what you need something for, how you use it, and if it accomplishes your requirements.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back