How to deal with expensive lenses you only use a handful of times throughout the year

I bought the 50mm cause it seems to be popular and it was cheap. however, I find myself never using it. It's not a focal length I like shooting at, i either want wider or narrower. I don't like being locked at 50mm. I should probably put it up for sale, I haven't used it a lot since buying it -- just didnt want to be hasty with that decision. I also thought about keeping it for my a6000, but then I should just replace it for an older non AF-S model.

Besides that, my 24-70 reaches 50mm, and I can shoot it at 2.8. If I side-by-side the two, I'm assuming shots are pretty comparable especially since I don't shoot wide open often in normal situations. I lose just over a stop of light, but oh well, that's why I shoot a D610 :p

The 85mm is much better optically and I'd never get rid of it. Images from the 58mm peak my interest; I love how tha lens seems to render and would probably be a better choice for me if I want to stick to that FOV -- but I dont think I'd ever drop coin for it unless I did a lot more family style potraits.

I use my 85 more than my 50, on my d600 FX
on my d7000 DX I used the 50 more.

I like the 50, don't get me wrong..but there are so many times I wished it focused closer. Maybe I might make some changes.

How do you decide when to use the P7800 and D600? If I was to buy an advanced compact, I'd probably end up using that more than my D610 just because its so much smaller, lighter and easier to carry so I'd bring it with me heck a lot more than my DSLR.
once you look at the images produced by both the decision will be easier. :p

Its hard to look at a camera with a 1/1.7" sensor from a 35mm sensor point of view.
And it's hard to look at 35 full frame when you have looked at MF 6x6, 6x9

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I like the 50, don't get me wrong..but there are so many times I wished it focused closer. Maybe I might make some changes.
Well ... there are plenty of 55mm and 60mm micros to choose from ?

Film, I persume ?

Because AFAIK digital sensors only really have reached 645 aka 6x4.5 so far.

However 6x9 film has been estimated to have around 30 Megapixel, so that wouldnt be exactly out of reach of a small format digital sensor.

Film, I persume ?

However 6x9 film has been estimated to have around 30 Megapixel, so that wouldnt be exactly out of reach of a small format digital sensor.
Yeah but the PhaseOne XF is only 100MP for the "smaller than the larger" format digital sensor.

I'm thinking way too much about this. I think I'm just going to keep what I have because I wouldn't feel right getting rid of my macro lens.

I wanted the 105 2.8, but I don't macro often, so I just got extension tubes and use my 85mm on them.

latest

Which ones? You talking Nikon 85mm 1.8G?

Film, I persume ?

Yeah but the PhaseOne XF is only 100MP for the "smaller than the larger" format digital sensor.
They still can't match film for looks

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back