How to di this sort of effect.

hiteshb26

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not going to comment on the processing, but WTF is up with that first photo?

I'm not sure exactly how this is done, but I had a hunch and it got me close, so you might want to mess around with it as well.

I created a new layer, and in it drew a radial gradient, from a saturated magenta kinda color in the center like in your links, to black on the edges. I then set the overlay mode to "screen" and tweaked the opacity. To me looks like a pretty convincing first step. If you got into more complex shapes and several layers of different colors I think it could work pretty well..

this is kind of what i got by what you said. but idk i feel thiers something else to it.

Attachments

• $_DSC0251.JPG
    $_DSC0251.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
  • $Light test.jpg
    $Light test.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 156
Well, lets look at the second link you posted, because I really like how the effect looked in that shot. It appears to me that they've got green coming from the top left, the obvious magenta in the top right, and also some orange in the bottom right. It also looks as if the the subjects have been masked out so they don't receive any of the color. Looking at the brightness of the lampposts in the top right, I'd also guess that some kind of vignette is being used. I think also that there were differences in the RAW processing between this example and the one you worked on. Their image seems to have a cooler and more magenta-shifted white balance, as well as more overall saturation. It's difficult to pinpoint where in someone else's workflow all these changes were made and in what order, but those details will be relevant to the final result.

I noticed on the second one that there is bokeh used for the out of focus lights in the background. If you don't know bokeh, look it up. Its a lot of explaining.

kyleweeks522 said:
I noticed on the second one that there is bokeh used for the out of focus lights in the background. If you don't know bokeh, look it up. Its a lot of explaining.

Bokeh doesn't get "used." It's a characteristic of the lens. You might want to read up on it...

I don't think Aperture can do Layers.

I don't think it can, either. At least natively. I think there's plug-ins for it that can, though.

PhotoShop ^^^^

that photo looks like it has some cross processing going on and perhaps vintage filters.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back