How to Firearm Photos

click1234

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What do I need, camera and lens wise, to take GOOD firearm photos?

i think lighting would be your most important variable for this.
i would vote something soft so as not to get strong highlights...especially if the slide or any parts of it are chrome or polished.

Thanks, I can understand lighting, but i need to know what lenses would be best for taking photos of a 42" long rifle without having to stand back 20' and having the subject so small it is not recognizeable. also i want to use a digital camera. would something like a nikon P80 with 18x zoom be sufficent? thanks

well you were asking about camera and lens and now about a p&s? so what kind of firearm photos? the kind where they are placed on something and photographed or the kind where they are fired?

You can use a wide angle lens like a 17-40mm zoom, but you will have some distortion on the wide end. I would find a creative way to capture it with something in the 24-70 range.

This was shot at 43mm:

506165049_5XCZa-L.jpg

these super zooms tend to go from wide to mega super dooper telephoto! so yes it will work but don't expect the same quality. you will also have to shoot in natural light or with some continuous lights as there is no hot-shoe on the p80 so strobes is out of the question. other than that... you should be fine!

You can use a wide angle lens like a 17-40mm zoom, but you will have some distortion on the wide end. I would find a creative way to capture it with something in the 24-70 range.

This was shot at 43mm:

That thing is very... interesting looking. Not like the rifles I'm used to seeing (with wood stocks and all).

It's even better when you can give your weapon to someone else to pose with it for a few shots. :)

561944048_N9XM6-XL.jpg

pic.php

those are some serious firearms. just curious, what sort of qualifications does one need to obtain those? i'm sure there's a very rigorous background check

Most reactions

Back