How to get 'Jobs' to build up a portfolio? I'm stuck!

Nikon_Josh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Guys,

I am asking this as I have a bit of a mental stumbling block.. so I thought it best I call out for 'HELP!' from the people who know. :confused:

I have done quite a few photographic assignments recently for friends and also have done a few shoots now with models I have met through Modelmayhem.

My aim is to go into portrait photography, weddings, baby/child and pet photography arena. I have also done some product photography and architectual stuff but that is on the backburner, I need to focus in on a few areas. I know the successful pro's do this.

But my question is this.. I haven't got enough really still to create a portfolio.. and I am looking for ways to get casual photography jobs in the local area? Obviously I will be working for cheap. but I don't know how I can really advertise myself without a website or portfolio. Any ideas of how I could get small photographic jobs in the local area? I mean for example someone looking for a cheap photographer to do some shots of children or some family portraits? Do I put up flyers or is Craigs list a good option?

I am worried about advertising myself as one of those photographers who will do 'work for free' as I understand how tasteless it is, but I don't really know what else I can do to get potential jobs right now. Obviously I am not yet in a position to say this is how much I charge!

Thanks in advance.

We are currently in the same possition as you are. Craigslist sounds like a good idea but the biggest problem with it is people's perception that if its free, it must be lower quality. Don't under-sell yourself. If you don't charge atleast something, you get stuck in that rut of "wanting to be a photographer" instead of being a photographer. I spoke with a couple friends in town and a co-worker and was able to get them to let me take pictures. Instead of charging for their pictures, The agreement was that not only did I have the rights to the photos, but also asked them to spread the word about the new "photographer in town". I started a facebook page and they linked their pics to it when they uploaded them and i'm starting off only charging $50-$100 depending on location and keeping my prints and image CD prices pretty reasonable to start. Most of the people I have spoken with seem to be more concerned with the sitting fee when looking for a photographer than the price of prints. The price of the prints are an ofter thought when they are deciding how many to buy. This may be different in your area; i'm in a small community.

Obviously I will be working for cheap.
Why? Just because you don't have a lot of experience, does not mean that you have to be cheap. If you can get the job done well and deliver the goods, then you should charge for it. If you don't think that you're good enough to charge more, then worry about improving first, then worry about customers.

Charging too little, is probably the number one reason why good photographers fail in this business.

. but I don't know how I can really advertise myself without a website or portfolio.
Creating a website and putting together a portfolio shouldn't be too hard...and you don't need 'clients' to do it. For example, an instructor I had, told us about a former student who created his portfolio in one day. He had a good looking couple pose for him, he borrowed clothes from a consignment store, he used a garage...using the large door for great 'window' lighting. I think the background were borrowed or rented.

Keep in mind that your portfolio doesn't have to be huge...just good. 10 great images are better than 20 images, if only 10 of those 20 are great.

You don't necessarily have to do 'jobs' for free. But if you just ask people to model for you, to help you build your portfolio, you won't have the same stigma as being the 'free Craig's List' photographer. Ask friends, ask family...ask people you see on the street. The better looking, the better (for your portfolio). You may get a lot of people saying no...but you will get some who say yes.

Once a "Cheap" Photograpgher , always a "Cheap" photographer

Generally, It si recommended Go free or go full price. Going cheap not only will hurt you , it hurts working photograpghers and make the business hard for everyone.

If you are just learning, Go free to build the portfolio so you have something to show potential clients.

If you are charging, charge a reasonable price. IF you actually want to be and STAY in business. What happens when you are charging $50 for a shoot and burn and then move up to The $500 - $700 you have to make per session to stay alive? Where will your customers be then?.And how do you justify a 10 fold increase in price when you really are delivering the same quality product? ( they will go to the next Craigslister and the bad cycle continues)

Nothing wrong with going free when you are learning. Because really who pays for someone to learn? Usually YOU pay for schooling and since there really is no way these days to learn Portrait business other than doing. You shouldn't ask people to pay for your "schooling"

As I had stated above, this depends on your location. Noone within 100 miles of where I live charges $500-700 for sitting fee. The average is $150-250 so instead of using one persons ideal, investigate your area and base your prices on what is reasonable and competative for you.

I didn't say sitting fee, That's the total you need to make per shoot in order to cover cogs and Bcost and stay in business
You didn't sound like you were charging a $150 - $250 "Sitting Fee" that sounded like your complete fee with Images. That's not a sitting/session fee

Last edited:
I will say though that your pricing depends on the Business Model you are going after : low end , mid, or high end

This is one of THOSE questions. There are as many opinions on how to go about doing it as there are people here. I am a bit of a fan of Todd Reichman's blog and he has some very DIFFERENT things to say about starting out and building a business. Some very excellent and thought provoking things. Read this post http://www.amantofish.com/2011/03/08/668/

I am of the mindset that if you are building a skill base and a portfolio you should not be charging for anything except maybe materials. The moment you charge anything you are a professional in the eyes of the consumer and it doesn't matter if you consider yourself to be a beginner or a seasoned professional. If you go to a pro shop for a bowling ball and have it drilled you expect it will come back with professional work, not kinda good. It doesn't matter to you that the pro shop just hired Joe Kid off the street and is teaching him the ropes. You expect professional results. Same here.

And... I really like Mike's post about free and craigslist vs models. There are a LOT of starving models just starting out who want and need portfolio images. TFP is the way to "hire" a model to work a project like this for you without actually paying out in dollar signs!

You could get a job with a studio to get experience. Why do people think photographers don't work for other people when they start out?

You could get a job with a studio to get experience. Why do people think photographers don't work for other people when they start out?
Years ago that was more of a possibility and it is more possible in your or my area. There are not as many established "Studios' anymore. And those that are are barely scrapping by without hiring other shooters. I wish that were true but it is a hard thing to do especially in more rural areas.

It used to be a great way to learn

Years ago that was more of a possibility and it is more possible in your or my area. There are not as many established "Studios' anymore. And those that are are barely scrapping by without hiring other shooters. I wish that were true but it is a hard thing to do especially in more rural areas.

It used to be a great way to learn

And a JOB is not really likely anymore, although there are some. Most of us have the new kids willing to intern for us free of charge to get the experience, education and skills. If you do intern, make sure you have an intern contract-even if it is not paid!!! And make sure you read it very carefully. MANY of those will have a no-compete clause which says you can't open a business within X amount of miles. They may also sign your copyright to the studio-which you do not want to do. At least not 100%. Some will give you the right to select a certain % to keep and use in your own portfolio too... Just read very carefully and know what you are getting into.

It doesn't have to be a 'studio' where you could try to get a job...there may not be as many studios in business anymore, but there are still plenty of professional photographer who are looking for assistants etc.

If there's a spot you could go to get pictures, like a park or something bring some business cards take photos of kids or whoever and give them your business card. Great way to get variety. If I were really pushing a photography business right now I would be calling people in my area who sell christmas trees and try to work out something with them to come and shoot families getting their tree.

Thanks all for this, you have cleared the mental block. Alot of valuable information here for me to digest!

Big Mike, I will actually take your advice on this one. I will now look to getting a website up and running and get some business cards sorted. I will get serious about getting some forms of communication created! I have about ten images I feel proud enough of to put on a site of varying things.

MLeek, thank you for that blog link it really is invaluable information. I think I agree with what is being said here, either work for free or charge a decent price. There is no in between, going cheap leads to potentially alienating current clients if I did raise my prices. Crucial factor here!

You'll be pretty amazed if you read Todd's writing on a regular basis. It's like one of those moments you want to slap yourself in the forehead and say... WOW. I should have known that.

Most reactions

Back