how to get right exposure/depth of field/shutter speed and other parameters

TheKempo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi guys, i'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, if it's not please forgive me ahah.
so, i've recently found a canon A1 that belonged to my grandad, i've never used an analog camera in my life and i'm getting into it. i'm not really a beginner about the parameters i'm asking about but i really can't fidure out how to set them properly. for example, with my digital cameras i set iso, diafram and so on, then i shot a few photos to test them, but in this case i can't shot many photos in order to save film. my big question is: how do i undersnand what are the right settings without seeing the photos? (oh, there's also the problem that i can't see the pictures right after taking them, so...)
sorry for any grammatical errors, i'm not english native,
hope i'll recive an answere soon. thanks

There are many multiple venues of information on this.
To start, keep it simple. you dont want to burn film, so follow the Sunny 16 Rule.
Go from there.
Sunny 16 rule - Wikipedia

To start, keep it simple. you dont want to burn film, so follow the Sunny 16 Rule.
Go from there.
ok that's very usefull, thanks. so in conclusioni have to know exacly what parameters to use in each situation, 'cause i cannot "verify" them until i've developed the film, right?

Go from there.
ok that's very usefull, thanks. so in conclusioni have to know exacly what parameters to use in each situation, 'cause i cannot "verify" them until i've developed the film, right?
In simple terms, yes.

there is no mechanism that allows a 'preview" of the image. That's where the education aspect comes in.
And why, starting with the Sunny 16 Rule gives you a starting point. if you have a light meter use it.

The DOF calculation will be the same for film as it is for digital. The "rule of sunny 16" will help you get a good exposure. Copy the table shown and take it with you for handy reference.

I would also suggest you determine if the cameras meter is accurate, no point shooting rolls of film with an uncalibrated meter.

There are several ways to do this and if you have a DSLR you could use its meter to check for accuracy using similar lenses and settings. Also a manual could help you out, here's an online version for the AE-1, https://people.ok.ubc.ca/creative/Manuals/Canon/Canon_AE-1_Manual.pdf

Go from there.

Yes, with a film camera you do not see your results until development of the film/printed images.

An instructional book, such as Understanding Exposure, might help a lot. There are hundreds of titles, most written in the 1970's and 1980's, which would teach you.

As has already been said using film means yo need to be confident that you know your settings are right to avoid wasting film. Once you have checked your in camera exposure meter is accurate (using your digital camera or phone or whatever) you can use that to give you confidence.
If in doubt you could 'bracket' which means to take a few pictures; one at with the aperture and shutter speed as you think it should be (according to the meter), one with a setting one stop higher (either using aperture or shutter speed) and one one stop lower. It uses three frames but it may help you learn.

20200105_200745-01.jpeg

20200105_200814-01.jpeg
20200105_200725-01.jpeg

This is a really good book. I bought it at Goodwill for $3.99 I believe.

Having thought about your post, I would suggest a good light meter, and if you still have digital camera
Do test shots with that..BUT within the limitations of the film camera
Set your iso and don’t change it learn how to manually bracket shots, as others have said read the books and get the feel for the situation. Look at the old school methods, make a frame with thumb and forefingers to “see” the image
Coming from film to digital I brought a lot of old school skills into my digital photography. As a result of your post I have realised that I would find it really hard to go back to film.

hi guys, i'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, if it's not please forgive me ahah.
so, i've recently found a canon A1 that belonged to my grandad, i've never used an analog camera in my life and i'm getting into it. i'm not really a beginner about the parameters i'm asking about but i really can't fidure out how to set them properly. for example, with my digital cameras i set iso, diafram and so on, then i shot a few photos to test them, but in this case i can't shot many photos in order to save film. my big question is: how do i undersnand what are the right settings without seeing the photos? (oh, there's also the problem that i can't see the pictures right after taking them, so...)
sorry for any grammatical errors, i'm not english native,
hope i'll recive an answere soon. thanks

Kempo, why are you fretting over this?
The A1 has Auto modes, hence the "A"! The A1 will do it for you. That's why the A1 was a big deal.
But you don't have to burn film to practice. Just practice with your digital camera. Put your digi on M and do the same thing and practice. Once you've got the basics down, then use the A1!
BUT, why are you busting your buns, NOBODY ever guessed. Just use the meter in the camera. ISO is the easiest part, it's set by the film!
Set your speed for the action or your f-stop for the DoF then you just line up the meter!!!
Don't let anybody BS you, that's what we ALL did once in-camera meters where invented!! Have fun burning up that film!!!
SS

Derrel turned me on to John Hedgecoe books about 4 years ago. They are really simple to read and understand. Search his name on Amazon Books, you can find some super prices on used books. Or go to your local library and see what they have. They really helped me and expedited my learning curve. I hardly ever preview my images when shooting digital. I focus on getting it right in camera with digital but I learned it shooting film. I take notes when I shoot film. I shoot more film than I do digital at this time because I like the process and simplicity.

Last edited:
John Hedgcoe wrote more than 30 books on photography. For less than a $5 bill you could get a used copy of any one of his titles and you will be well served on your way to learning about film photography and settings and approaches. As Sharpshooter pointed out you can use your digital camera as a learning tool. Basically you need to know only a few things about shutter speed and about depth of field and aperture. If you want to freeze action start at 1/500 and move upwards to perhaps 1/1600, which will freeze most action. As regards to lens aperture, F-22 and F-16 are for pictures where you want deep depth of field. Ignore people who talk about diffraction. More depth of field will make pictures look sharp even though there might be some diffraction. If you want shallow depth of field, the wide-apertured like f/2 and F/2.8 and to a certain extent f/ 4 are good. For regular everyday shots F 5.6 and F 8 is a good range. In my experience 200 ISO film or 400 ISO color print film are very versatile.

In black-and-white I love the freedom that ISO 400 film like Tri-x gives you. I have without a doubt exposed more Tri-x 400 black and white than any other film. It is not the best film but it is extremely forgiving and I love the tonality of it... but a newer film like TMax 400 gives you finer grain and slightly higher acutance.

I think if you buy a good John Hedgecoe photography manual and study and practice you'll be quite good in as little as one year. I would as shooter said, use your digital camera as a learning tool. taking pictures is mostly the same whether you're using an iPhone,or a twin lens reflex or a film camera-- good subject matter, and lighting and composition are more important than technique in most cases.

I practiced the sunny 16 rule with a digital camera for about a month. I got quite good at it. My main camera (s) are a Nikon F and F2. Both have eye level, non metered prisms. No batteries, all mechanical.

Kempo,

Welcome to the world of film.

Here is what I would do to keep from wasting film,
  • If I recall the Cannon A-1 is and Single Lens Reflex.
  • Google the instruction manual.
  • Check to see if it has some sort of metering system. Probably battery operated.
  • You probably already know the shutter speed and aperture controls.
  • If it is a fully automatic or match the needle exposure system, there should be an ASA (now called ISO) adjustment. There may also be a Preview button on the lens to stop aperture down to view the depth of field.
As already suggested the Sunny 16 is a good starting point, Also as mentioned, simply set your digital camera to the film's ISO and use the shutter speed and f number your digital would use for the shoot. Basically, you already have a light meter.

Besides having a bit of fun with your granddad's old camera, you will learn a lot about what your Digital camera is doing for you automatically and how convenient the digital erase button really is. But be warned, you are on the edge of a rabbit hole, that is full of people who really like this stuff.

Good Luck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back