how to get started career in Photography?

hi,

After completing studies, how to begin carrier in photography?
Hello, and welcome!

1. It would really help a lot if you can be quite good in at least one area of photography.

2. You should network with people who can help you or at least steer work your way.

3. Save up at least one full year of living expenses before declaring your independence from your job.

4. Have patience, because your business may take some time to develop.

Good luck!

First, become independently wealthy by another way, then you should be good to go. ;)

Last edited:
Work for a newspaper or tv station
In case you have not noticed every body with a camera phone is a photographer
To earn a living at it, v hard. The public will see an effect and expect you to do that for them.
And oh so many other problems.
As someone said have enough money to live off whilst getting started for a few years or have a job that pays the bills and the photography is the extra, that you don’t need to rely on.
And when pricing up form experience
1. work what it is really going to cost, include everything, tax insurance as well then add profits
2. Watch the cost of what you use and the price trends. No good quoting one price and finding that the materials have doubled since you last looked.
3. Make a not of what you are making a hour,day,week, month after all your expenses.
A price may seem great until you break it down after expenses and find that you have made minimal amount or that job has actually cost you money.
4 keep an eye on laws , restrictions and trends. It’s no good going to a location for a shoot only to find that a notice saying ..No commercial photography allowed.
5 having worked out your pricing ask this.. will your intended customers be willing to pay your prices.
6 are you looking at a limited market, how big is your customer base.
7 how much can you diversify your product, photos, t shirts, post cards,
8 are you able to do what is required, level of skill, kit required, and your physical ability.eg to stand all day then work late into the night to meet customer dead line.
As you have probably worked out it’s not going to be easy, but I wish you all the best

Re post 6
Add that a lot of companies are getting #that man/woman who works for them and is good with a camera# to do their photos
People in general are not spending out on pro photographers they rather use the phone, their own camera
Or get a mate, ok most of the time they will get just what they pay for. But some people would not know a good photo if it jumped and bit them on their ASA/iso. #ps moderator I know this is close to swearing but I hope it’s not to far out of line.
I await the smack on the wrist if it is

2DBB593D-6CAF-4344-9C43-690D7B871C65.jpeg
Yep. That includes some/most photography comp judges when like me you are really really out of the box in your style.
I submitted the enclosed image, to a club level comp.
the judge marked me down for lack of background... I had spent weeks finding a background that did NOT react to the light source #UV#

To be honest, OP question is kind of vague. We all assume the studies he/she mentioned are photography related? or Business related?
And what kind of career does he/she like to pursue?

For example, if I change the question to Food industries from photography, you may have a questions on what I really want to do? Do I want to be a restaurant owner? Or, do I want to be a cook and work for someone else? What if the studies I mentioned is actually Chemical Engineering or Bio Engineering? I could be looking for jobs in companies that make fake meat?

In my opinion, photography is a very broad terms. There are jobs in news or media companies as well as Ads agencies. Of course, a big real estate firm may also have in house photographers. Of course individual or chain studios may also have opening for photographers or assistants.

But then again, it all depends on what OP like to pursue. :D

Build a time machine and go back 40 years :D

We are assuming you have a camera and know how to use it? Echoing the above comments what sort of photography do you want a career in; Portrait, Documentary, Travel, Product, Nature, Sports, music/concert.....
Identify what you want to do and get a regular job that exposes you to that subject matter and then cross fingers hoping that you will get attention

Most photography fields these days are completely entrepreneurial. There are hardly any places to apply for a job. There are no boxes to check, no minimum requirements, no forms to fill out, no one to interview with, and no applications. Wrap your head around that. To be successful you need to get out there and be a photographer before you start getting paid for it. You need to take lots of unique photographs, make the right contacts, understand what content buyers want.
My point is that you need to go out and be it before you can make money at it. You need to have an entrepreneurial spirit. You will need to be motivated, a self starter, self disciplined, determined, a good networker, creative, an outstanding networker, personable, a great self marketer, and have a good business sense. Being a great photographer helps, but not necessary.
onplanners

Last edited:
A career in photography. Get started taking better photos from today! And it's your job to make photography creative as easy as possible for you. IMO, it is a tough hobby to pick up and an even tougher career to explore! Think about your perspective! Need to know about holding the camera, Post-Processing techniques! Always, feel it makes you happy.

I am thinking of starting up my own photography business. I have a business plan and have been to see an advisor. I would suggest uploading your best photos to facebook, instagram, twitter, flickr, get your pictures out there and get noticed! There are also the stock photography websites which might get you a small amount of income, but that is not guaranteed and it would not be something you could live off, but you have to start somewhere right?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back