How to get this background?

Couldn't she take a picture of her subject then cut it out in photoshop and paste it to a new file (plain white background)...? That seems like the easiset thing to me. Unless you don't have photoshop.. I'd be glad to try it if you need help!

Couldn't she take a picture of her subject then cut it out in photoshop and paste it to a new file (plain white background)...?

Thats the way people who do not know how to do it in camera will do it... not the way a knowledgeable photographer would. ;)

3128102169_236dce58da.jpg

Just place a light behind the subject and have it blast away at the background. In this picture we have the founder of the Montreal Strobist group posing for a shot as we were waiting for the models to arrive. From this day on, when we want to kid him and call him "tripod"... lol

Anyways, I did not use any flash for this pic, but you do see how the placement of the rear light brights and "blows out" the background so it is totally white. This is the faster and easier way to take a shot with a "seamless" background.

Of course one could do the cut and paste method, and it looks ok, but it takes more work. It does give you chances to do things that you normally could not do. This was done using your suggested cut and paste method:
3105458545_492a3db02a.jpg

Thats the way people who do not know how to do it in camera will do it... not the way a knowledgeable photographer would. ;)

3128102169_236dce58da.jpg

Just place a light behind the subject and have it blast away at the background. In this picture we have the founder of the Montreal Strobist group posing for a shot as we were waiting for the models to arrive. From this day on, when we want to kid him and call him "tripod"... lol

Anyways, I did not use any flash for this pic, but you do see how the placement of the rear light brights and "blows out" the background so it is totally white. This is the faster and easier way to take a shot with a "seamless" background.

Of course one could do the cut and paste method, and it looks ok, but it takes more work. It does give you chances to do things that you normally could not do. This was done using your suggested cut and paste method:
3105458545_492a3db02a.jpg

Thanks, I see your point.. and you are correct, I am not a knowledgable photographer...YET..(hence my activity here:wink:) I'm still young and not only still fairly new to photography but have none of the equipment or space to practice these techniques that you speak of. :waiting: *sigh* maybe some day when I win the lottery! But for now it's just me, the D80 and photoshop.

You know you are an extreme camera enthusiast when:

- you start considering thread count in the sheets that you will use as your diffuser material, and know that the lower thread count is better than the higher thread count! :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao:

It is still always nice to be able to do a clipping path in Photoshop when dealing with product photography.

My studio wall and floor are painted white so I don't use seamless for images like this but it is the same concept.

Setup:

It will work sometimes with product but if you have reflective surfaces you will need to make adjustments.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back