How to make prints that won't be shared-(seriously!)

bluewaterjon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bluewaterjon.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I am a sports photographer for magazines. Of course I know that anything can be scanned and shared, but I have seen other photographers make prints from their pics that would not easily lend themselves to scanning. They did it by making them big (poster size), and making them look like they had been altered in a way that looked like they had been, for example, put through one of those "artistic" filters in P-shop. Of course I know even a poster can be scanned but altering the size to something huge, and then altering the image somewhat, would make it let desirable to do so IMO.
It seemed like a good idea because they were able to give away some photos to people they wanted to stoke (for free) in a large format suitable for a large frame, but it would make for a pain in the rear job to have it scanned and no one would really want the scan as it is from an altered version- if that makes sense. More headache than it would be worth.
The reason I have a need for this is that I accompany captains and stay at resorts who I would like to give images to for free- a bit here and there as a thanks, but I am hesitant to give out any images because in this day and age, sooner or later someone ( despite their claim that they only want it for their personal collection)is going to scan it share it and and then I can't sell the image as a cover to a mag or to another private client since it's already in circulation. Or if I do sell it to a mag, and it comes out on the net before the mag publishes it, I will get a bad rep with the mag. Or it will end up in someone's website- happens all the time in the business I am in. So I'd like to hook a few people up with the image, but like I said, in a way where they get a cool piece that doesn't lend itself to sharing.
I saw one shooter do this, he had all these cool shots done up so they looked like they had been put on a canvas. That way the resort owner (who he wanted to stoke) got some great art, but he didn't compromise the images' commercial value.
Here's a pic I took in Panama recently ( marlin) and then one or two I took in Hawaii. The subject in the third image gave me the most trouble!
gal1.jpg

gal7.jpg

gal12.jpg

Tx in advance for all input.
Jon Schwartz
Photography by Bluewater Jon Schwartz: Fishing photos, pictures, articles, big fish, marlin, sailfish

Last edited:
Give them their photos printed on metallic paper. Does not scan well at all.

Awesome images! I would also recommend they be printed on something that doesn't scan well. Even a textured surface such as linen or canvas. Metallic is an excellent idea.

Most reactions

Back