How to meter white birds/BIF

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by SuzukiGS750EZ, Jun 21, 2019.

1. zombiesniper

zombiesniper Furtographer Extraordinaire! Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    As has been stated above there are many ways to get the correct exposure, AV/TV/Manual.

I shoot as you are Manual with ISO auto. This is and is not your problem.

The problem
    Why it is causing you grief with a white bird is not really your camera setting so much as it is the camera is set to meter for about a %13 grey. This will darken white and lighten black subjects. No matter your shooting mode, if the camera has any choice it will meter for 13% grey.
    I'll demonstrate the problem with a few images.

I shot this flower first with the settings below.
    Camera set to manual with auto ISO
    1/4000 F4 (ISO chosen by the camera) ISO 100
    No exposure compensation.

As you can see the camera under exposed by quite a bit
    [​IMG]no comp by Trevor Baldwin, on Flickr

Now I raised my exposure compensation.
    1/4000 F4 Exposure comp at +2/3 (ISO chosen by the camera) ISO 100
    A little better but not quite there yet.

[​IMG]+23 by Trevor Baldwin, on Flickr

Now I raised my exposure compensation again.
    1/4000 F4 Exposure comp at +1 1/3 (ISO chosen by the camera) ISO 125
    This is almost right.

[​IMG]+113 by Trevor Baldwin, on Flickr

I could have used another +1/3 to be perfect but it can be hard to tell on a really bright day on the back lcd screen.

One way you can solve the issue is to set up your custom functions so that when you press the set button in the middle of the thumb wheel on the back of the camera to change your shutter speed wheel to exposure compensation. This will allow you to dial in the exposure more precisely. This procedure is only really required when shooting near back or near white objects.
    Outside of changing the exposure comp you would have to shoot full manual and set the exposure yourself. If the camera is allowed to set even one parameter ie shutter or aperture priority you will continue to run into this problem.

If you need help in setting up the exposure comp button as I have described let me know. Jr. has the 80D and I've done this with his.

2. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes.
    Auto ISO means the camera is adjusting the exposure by adjusting the ISO level.
    Therefore, you are NOT in full manual.
    To be in full manual, you need to be in control of the 3 sides of the exposure triangle; shutter speed, aperture, ISO level.
    You need to turn the mode to M (manual) and turn auto ISO OFF, to be in full manual.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. zombiesniper

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Absolute GARBAGE reply unless you can explain WHY it would benefit him.

4. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Since YOU think it is garbage, why don't YOU explain it.

5. zombiesniper

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I do think it was a garbage post. It in no way aided the OP in solving their problem.

Why would I explain it? You posted some crap to try and make yourself look superior and got called on it. You're acting like a child.

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

Full manual versus manual with AUTO ISO enabled...two subtly different things.

In the daisy in front of brown background example that zulu42 showed, note that we have a small white-petaled flower, surrounded by about 89 percent of the frame being a dark brown color. The tone curve is important here--the situation has VERY high contrast...white flower, dark background. The most critical thing is not to blow out the highlights, and then to apply the right degree of contrast to make the shadows look good, so we have a need for post processing and careful exposure setting in-camera.

There is the field stage and the computer stage. In you OP, you show a small-in-frame white bird seen against a pretty dark background...I would guess that as much as 1.7 EV of exposure compensation might be needed with this scene, and maybe some computer "tone work" to make the scene read right.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1