How to shoot Night Time Bonfire party

RonGoode

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been shooting about two years using a Canon 60 D and also have a speedlite 430ex II.
I don't consider myself a beginner but I have been asked to shoot a party Saturday night.
As far as I know the light available to work with will be a bonfire, glow sticks. and black lights.
I'm curious as to suggestions on how to shoot this.
I always shoot in manual but I've seen several suggestions online for using auto or P.
Any and all advice is appreciated.

Might get some nice effects by shooting in shutter mode and choosing something a little longer, maybe even 1/2 sec.

I was going to try to do some light travails and some blurred movement during dancing but unfortunately I've always shot in manual mode. I don't even know how to use the other modes very well.

more than anything I'm worried about it being too dark and having to use too much ISO.

What is the fastest lens you have?
In this situation I would try to avoid using flash.
Canon 50/1.0 will be a good solution :cool: Or at least Sigma 35/1.4.
Even Sigma 18-35/1.8 would probably work well enough.

What is the fastest lens you have?
In this situation I would try to avoid using flash.
Canon 50/1.0 will be a good solution :cool: Or at least Sigma 35/1.4.
Even Sigma 18-35/1.8 would probably work well enough.

Got a canon Fixed 50/1.4

Got a canon Fixed 50/1.4
Try to test it beforehand in similar lighting environment.
Make a quick bonfire, place your friend(s) or a model near it and take several pics.
Probably ISO 2000 will be enough at 1/100 shutter speed. For wide DOF pics use flash so you will have variety of photos.

Do you have a speed light?

I would do a slow shutter with rear curtain sync to a have some blurs but then to freeze the motion. Speed light would be a fairly low power setting as not to over power the scene.

It doesn't matter what mode you shoot in: Whatever is in the viewfinder, the camera will average it to medium gray. The different modes are simply tools for giving you control over exposure. You have to know what you're metering when you look through the viewfinder and how it will influence the meter or you're just guessing. Using a white balance of tungsten will give you accurate color when shooting subjects lit by fire. I would use the fire light to set up moody portraits. A good high ISO quality will help. You could play with flash gelled with orange to match the fire light, or pop some backlights in with PocketWizards.

Flash will let you see only the coals of the fire. No flames will show unless you're using a small enough aperture so as to darken the background. MOREGONE'S idea of rear curtain sync is a good one.

If you only have 1 flash, flash bracket would be your best option. But dont be afraid to go with crazy high ISO or even point the flash right on the subject. Here is a sample of my flash just pointed to the subject. I think it would be interesting if you had fire instead of lights.

p957612012-4.jpg

But really though.. if someone is standing next to the fire, you should be able to shoot them without flash. The ISO would be high but just make sure you take the shutter to the minimum and be very steady. Bring a monopod if you must. Then maybe you can do something like this when people are drunk haha.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/people-photography/355325-beast-mode.html

Do you have a speed light?

I would do a slow shutter with rear curtain sync to a have some blurs but then to freeze the motion. Speed light would be a fairly low power setting as not to over power the scene.

IMO rear curtain sync does not do anything unless your subject is running around. If they are just dancing, most people cant tell whether it was rear curtain or not.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back