How to shoot sports ?

Solarflare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I had a chance to try sports (in good light, mostly) recently and I soon figured out that I had trouble nailing the focus, i.e. I often got it, but I often missed it as well.

Granted, I dont have the best DSLR in the world for sports (D5100), nor the best zoom (AF-S 55-200mm f4-5.6 VR). Still even with such a lowcost camera, sports should be possible.

Okay, first things first: obviously I switched to AF-C[ontinous] Mode.

But then I have 4 operation modes available:

- Spot
- Dynamic Area
- 3D Traking
- Area

Well, Spot and Area arent really of that much interest. I soon found out Area is really slow and makes you miss a lot of shots. Spot works well except you will miss focus a lot because the AF point is no longer on the athletes eyes where you want it.

That leaves Dynamic Area and 3D Traking. I mostly used 3D Traking, even if its kind of suboptimal with only 15 AF points. I had problems to move the AF point quickly enough, as the control is kind of in a suboptimal place and not so easy to press, also I had the usual problems I have with my camera (cant see the whole viewfinder, cant see 100% of the final picture etc), but otherwise it worked well and I had little to no delay.

But my real question is: why do these two modes exist and what exactly is the difference between them ? The manual stays kind of vague about it.

google.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back