How to take photo with colorful outdoor background, while indoor

SirCalvin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm Calvin from Indonesia.
Recently i just got back from my holidays, and was wondering how take photos while indoor, with outdoor background... Since result of my photo is far from satisfaction.
I tried using built in flash from my camera (sony e6300) but somehow flash didnt produce enough power (i already maximize my flash setting, btw)
I can adjust its brightness, but it will kill nice blue sky color on background.
So, what I'm actually want is, I still could maintain vivid color on background, while object of my photo (wife and kids) still bright.
Photo no 1, less color on background
IMG_20220507_171058.jpg

Photo no 2, nice vivid color on background, but object is too dark
IMG_20220507_165123.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, I'm Calvin from Indonesia.
Recently i just got back from my holidays, and was wondering how take photos while indoor, with outdoor background... Since result of my photo is far from satisfaction.
I tried using built in flash from my camera (sony e6300) but somehow flash didnt produce enough power (i already maximize my flash setting, btw)
I can adjust its brightness, but it will kill nice blue sky color on background.
So, what I'm actually want is, I still could maintain vivid color on background, while object of my photo (wife and kids) still bright.
Photo no 1, less color on background
View attachment 256036
Photo no 2, nice vivid color on background, but object is too dark
View attachment 256037

Thanks!
Set your camera to expose for the background, manual flash to expose the foreground subject.

Many cameras with built-in flashes do not output enough light. Try getting closer to the subject. Or buy a separate flash with greater output.

Both comments above are doing the same thing. They compensate for the difference in dynamic range. Unless you use an Incident meter you'll have a lot of trial and error on the first option. I'm not familiar with your camera but I'm assuming it offers TTL, a better way to go for on the fly flash correction. Here's a more detailed read on the general use of TTL The Beginner's Guide to Using TTL flash: How it works, why it fails and how to use it

Just be aware that as Alan mentioned above There are limitations imposed by your flash output, and sometimes you have to adjust both the Flash EV and the camera EV to balance your background and foreground.

Set your camera to expose for the background, manual flash to expose the foreground subject.
You meant focusing on the background, then slightly bring the center to the object, and hit shoot button, i did try that, but seems not working
-

I would suggest another approach. I use a TTL flash
that I will fine tune with the EV compensation option.
This i will google it. Thanks!
Both comments above are doing the same thing. They compensate for the difference in dynamic range. Unless you use an Incident meter you'll have a lot of trial and error on the first option. I'm not familiar with your camera but I'm assuming it offers TTL, a better way to go for on the fly flash correction. Here's a more detailed read on the general use of TTL The Beginner's Guide to Using TTL flash: How it works, why it fails and how to use it

Just be aware that as Alan mentioned above There are limitations imposed by your flash output, and sometimes you have to adjust both the Flash EV and the camera EV to balance your background and foreground.
Thanks 😁 lots of new vocabulary to me, i will google it too.

You meant focusing on the background, then slightly bring the center to the object, and hit shoot button, i did try that, but seems not working
No, I meant what I wrote. I do not understand what you tried.
As for flash exposure, though, anything that properly exposes the foreground will work. I said manual because I find that as long as I know the guide number (or numbers, in case of multiple units,) the exposure I want is simple to calculate. That could be in automatic, manual, or through the lens modes.

Couple of ways to do this.

One is get more powerful external flash(es) to expose the foreground the same as the back ground.

Second is to take 2 shots, one exposed for the foreground and one for the background then use something like photoshop or light room to merge the 2 images.

Your camera may have a setting to bracket expose several shots quickly to make shots close enough to merge them easy.

I don't think the built in flash is powerful enough to even up the exposure difference here. You probably need a speedlight to even up the exposure difference.

It's a good idea to use your in built light meter to see what the EV difference is between the foreground and background. There's a good tutorial on flash photography here Strobist: Lighting 101: Introduction

As it is, all you can really do is raise the shadows in post, which might give you an acceptable shot.

The built-in flash is simply not strong enough to compensate for the full daylight outdoors.

As for setting exposure for the background, the way to do that is to meter the shot without the subjects, and note the settings the camera uses. Put those settings in manually to force the camera to use them. Then take a few shots with the subjects in place, using different flash power settings. You'll get several pictures with good background and various degrees of subject light. If none are brightly lit enough, then you need a better flash than the one built into the camera.

Last edited:
According to this review, the onboard flash for this camera is really weak. Sony A6300 Review - Flash

As to the existing photo, it's an easy edit in LR to correct. If you saved the raw file, it's even easier.
edit (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back