How to take photos of the moon.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Byrnew, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Byrnew

Byrnew TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi all,

I have seen photos of the moon taking by people and they look amazing . Would anybody be able to guide me on how to take these providing I have the correct lense to do so. The lense I have is a nikon 70mm-300mm 4.5-6.3 vr.
    I did try to take a few shots but all I got was a bright round light that looked like a head light of a car in the distance .

Thanks

Wayne.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Strodav

Strodav TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. PJM

PJM No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You should be able to get something like the photo below, not the best but not a headlight either. It was taken with pretty much the same lens without VR.
    It was shot at 1/400, f/6.3, ISO 100, @300 mm. There was also quite a bit of cropping involved to get the size I wanted.

Getting the right exposure can be tricky. I start by using single point metering directly on the moon and then taking a few test shots and adjusting. If all you are getting is a bright headlight then you are likely metering off the dark sky and overexposing the moon.

Have fun experimenting. And if you are using a tripod don't forget to turn off the VR.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your exposure issue is caused by shooting in an automatic mode. The camera sees mostly the black sky, and tries to expose more for that than the (sunlit) moon. Shoot manually, a stop or to more than you would for a typical sunlit scene here on terra firma.

5. Byrnew

Byrnew TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks very much for the reply and information il experiment the next clear night we have :)

6. Byrnew

Byrnew TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi, perfect thanks il try again and use manual mode and see what I can get;-)

7. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    The recommendation from the 'looney 8 rule' works out 2 stops more. (1/iso at f8, adjusted for your preferred aperture). Spot metering can work if you have a long enough lens, but manual always works.

A 1000mm lens on APSC will be getting near to filling the frame with the moon, but few of us have quality lenses that are anywhere near that long.

8. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Single point, spot meter and focus square on the moon. Base ISO (probably 100 or 200) which will result in slower shutter speeds. Tripod, remote release. Turn off VR. Start at f/8 take a couple, f/11 take a couple, f/16 take a couple. Depending on the lens, you may find that the f/16 images show a little defraction. If you don't have a remote release, use the cameras timer instead. The best time to get clear images of the moon is after a rain and the sky clears up. Not totally necessary but it does improve the clarity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Grandpa Ron

Grandpa Ron No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    All good advice.

I have found that with my Canon T6, manual focus, and lens stabilized off, works best. Also, not surprising, good glass, clear skies and long lenses work best.

This shot was taken using a inexpensive hobby store telescope, with a $12,00 adapter and a T ring to fit my camera, as a prime focus lens. The focal length was about 750 mm. It was shot at 1/20 sec. 200 ISO. on clear night.

This photo is "as shot" without any post processing, it is my start point.

If you scan the web use will fine there are a multitude of techniques for astrophotography. You will also find that the folks are using some really top notch gear.

Good Luck
    Three quarters moon1.JPG

10. Lonnie1212

Lonnie1212 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Le moon.jpg The lens you have is the same one I am using. I would suggest using different ISO and aperture settings. There are times when I use ISO 100. For a full moon with a lot of light. I would suggest starting out at ISO 100, aperture of 7.1, try different shutter speeds. There are times when I use the Bulb setting for shutter speed. Maybe expose the shot for 1, 2, to 4 seconds. I like to keep a smaller aperture when photographing the moon. It makes for a sharper picture. Have done a few moon pics with a Nikon D3200 and a 70-300 lens. Don't be afraid to break the rules when it comes to night photography. The experts put out a lot of information. But I have broken a few of those rules. Get out there and take more pictures!

Lonnie

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  11. Strodav

Strodav TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As long as we are sharing. Moon_10_14_19 2000x1333.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lonnie1212

Lonnie1212 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Hi Dave,

That is an impressive silver moon picture. Do you mind sharing the camera model, lens, and settings? Excellent work!

• Agree Agree x 1