How to tell if DSLR camera is a counterfeit?

JimTrail

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello The Photo Forum;

Question. Is it possible to tell if a DSLR camera is a counterfeit before buying it?

------ Historical information ---------------

Back in the early 1980's I used to work for a distributor that sold and serviced photocopiers [i.e. copy machines]. The company was located in South Florida, specifically the city of Miami.

They sold a brand of photocopiers that was made by Panasonic. They belonged to a network of photocopier dealers that re-branded the Panasonic photocopier with their own corporate brand [which is perfectly legal].

When I worked for them they would do things that were highly unethical. Back then photocopy machines had what they called a "click counter." It's kind of like a mileage odometer on a car. They would turn back the click counter on the photocopier which lead the buyer to think the copy machine had less wear.

I was a copier salesman. They underpaid the salesmen. I didn't work there very long.

Before owning the photocopier distributorship the owners of that [i.e. the 1980's] company owned a business that sold cameras and camera equipment.

Those people, if they could get possession of counterfeit merchandise, would have sold it for authentic equipment. There's no doubt about that.

------ Current scenario ---------------

Today, there is a certain camera dealer headquartered in New York. They have no relation to the early 1980's photocopier distributor [as far as I know]. The New York camera seller says they are "Authorized Dealers" for Pentax. They are offering a Pentax K-500 camera for $399. That includes shipping.

I realize that many of the Japanese camera companies farm out the manufacture and assembly of their cameras to other Asian countries. Those cameras are made with the authorization of the Japanese camera company.

However, I kind of suspect some of those Asian countries make cameras outside the authorization of the camera company and sell "bootleg" cameras to American dealers.

My question is: Before buying the camera from a dealer is there any way to tell if a camera is a bootleg camera that is made outside of the authorization of the Canon, Pentax, Nikon, etc. camera company?

Thanks.

So my Cannon Mark 4 might be counterfeit?

JimTrail said:
.Today, there is a certain camera dealer headquartered in New York. They have no relation to the early 1980's photocopier distributor [as far as I know]. The New York camera seller says they are "Authorized Dealers" for Pentax. They are offering a Pentax K-500 camera for $399. That includes shipping.

Ummmm...right now, TODAY, the Pentax K-500 with the 18-55 kit zoom is $399 at B&H Photo, courtesy of a current $150 instant rebate.

Pentax K-500 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens

JimTrail said:
.Today, there is a certain camera dealer headquartered in New York. They have no relation to the early 1980's photocopier distributor [as far as I know]. The New York camera seller says they are "Authorized Dealers" for Pentax. They are offering a Pentax K-500 camera for $399. That includes shipping.

Ummmm...right now, TODAY, the Pentax K-500 with the 18-55 kit zoom is $399 at B&H Photo, courtesy of a current $150 instant rebate.

Pentax K-500 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens

Then that must mean that runnah's Mark IV is legit and HE is counterfeit. lol.

I just checked. My D600 is fake because it says Nixon on the bottom.

I just checked. My D600 is fake because it says Nixon on the bottom.

Not fake, just all your images are going to be a bit crooked.

Oh and it only records audio.

The New York camera seller says they are "Authorized Dealers" for Pentax. They are offering a Pentax K-500 camera for $399. That includes shipping.

My question is: Before buying the camera from a dealer is there any way to tell if a camera is a bootleg camera that is made outside of the authorization of the Canon, Pentax, Nikon, etc. camera company?

Why not first tell if the dealer is actually an authorized dealer first, then figure out if the product is kosher? or buy the same came from a reputable dealer for the same price?

Today, there is a certain camera dealer headquartered in New York. They have no relation to the early 1980's photocopier distributor [as far as I know]. The New York camera seller says they are "Authorized Dealers" for Pentax. They are offering a Pentax K-500 camera for $399. That includes shipping.

I realize that many of the Japanese camera companies farm out the manufacture and assembly of their cameras to other Asian countries. Those cameras are made with the authorization of the Japanese camera company.

However, I kind of suspect some of those Asian countries make cameras outside the authorization of the camera company and sell "bootleg" cameras to American dealers.

Thanks.

Why would you suspect that?
And where do these companies develop a supply chain to provide all the specialized parts like sensors and lenses to assemble?
And how do these companies get a distribution network for this $399 camera>

Digital cameras are an incredible technical bargain that is only possible through efficient manufacture and production.
How does a 'bootlegger' make enough money through a trickle of fake goods in a relatively small market for an item that can be returned under warranty?

Fake memory cards, yeah.
Fake cameras, naw I don't think so.

JimTrail: Welcome! I think you may be getting confused with the concept of "gray market" cameras. Or "grey" if you wish.

The issue is not that the camera itself is a fake, but whether the warranty has been duly logged and paid for. Some sources will offer cameras at a substantial discount, but in reading the fine print one finds that it will not be covered under the factory warranty in the U.S. I doubt if an authorized dealer will handle any non-warranty merchandise.

Anytime you've got an outfit advertising new equipment at prices far below what you see elsewhere it should set of some alarm bells.

In this case it sounds like bh photo has the same deal thanks to a rebate from the manufacturer so if I were looking for one I get it from them.

They have a great reputation and are really good folks to deal with

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

I am not sure about camera, but high tech counterfeit are out there. Couple years ago I read a news about a bank bought some Cisco gears (Network Routers) from a authorized Cisco dealers and they were counterfeit. It worked in the non-production environment while they set them up and test them, but once they were deployed in the production environment, things started to fall apart due to the counterfeit equipments could not handle the amount of network traffic the bank had. The problem was the dealers bought some Cisco gears from a different source other than the authorized distributors.

But then again, the camera is only $400, it may not worth to make the counterfeit version of it. A LV bag is a lot easier to make and it can be sell at higher cost.

As for how to tell if the camera is counterfeit or not, just contact the Camera company with the serial number. I believe they can tell you whether the camera is legit or not. (Or a gray market camera or not)

I am not sure about camera, but high tech counterfeit are out there. Couple years ago I read a news about a bank bought some Cisco gears (Network Routers) from a authorized Cisco dealers and they were counterfeit. It worked in the non-production environment while they set them up and test them, but once they were deployed in the production environment, things started to fall apart due to the counterfeit equipments could not handle the amount of network traffic the bank had. The problem was the dealers bought some Cisco gears from a different source other than the authorized distributors.

But then again, the camera is only $400, it may not worth to make the counterfeit version of it. A LV bag is a lot easier to make and it can be sell at higher cost.

The Cisco story is somewhat famous because it's used to educate people on a type of gray market case.

It turns out the buyer of the "Cisco" routers was the US federal government. They went through the normal purchasing red tape of being required to put the purchase out for bids and review and select the winner (who is usually the cheapest vendor). They bought and implemented these "Cisco" routers.

Trouble started when a router needed support (you could need support even on a legitimate piece of gear). When they called for support, Cisco told them their serial number wasn't valid and that they had never built such a router. Apparently they owned a fake.

Given what the router was used for, this set off alarm bells that perhaps the software in the router might have a few "extra features" ... e.g. was the router actually used for spying, for example?

They investigated.

What they discovered is that Cisco engineered and designed the router but they outsourced the manufacture of the router to a 3rd party. Cisco would place order with the supplier to build some quantity for them. BUT... when the supplier had finished building all the routers required by Cisco... they were then manufacturing a few "extras" after the production run. These were being sold as genuine Cisco routers but the real Cisco company had no knowledge of them.

Back to the original question. I don't know about all manufacturers, but Canon provides THEIR list of their authorized vendors. If you're buying a Canon product, you can check to see if it's on the list. If you see new Canon products being sold by anyone who is NOT on the list, you should probably be suspicious as to how they are managing to acquire legitimate products.

Here is a link to Canon's authorized dealer list... and since it's possible for dealers to come and go, you'd really need to download a fresh copy whenever you want to check on someone.

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/dealer/CanonAuthorizedDealers.pdf

Most reactions

Back