How was this photo done?? PS or filter??

aesoet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
am somewhat new to photography, not entirely new, but new enough I suppose not to know how this photo was done.

This very wonderful photographer in California has an interesting way of photographing, and I cannot figure out how he is doing it.

If any of you are interested in taking to time to look at his work and tell me what you think that would be great. My question mainly revolved around his pictures in the "love and marriage - Rachel and Donnie" photos section. www.maxwanger.com
His photos have a very distinct blue hue on one side of them and then look overexposed on the other side.
The first photo of the palm trees the hue and saturation/exposure change is obvious, and also photo 6 in that bunch (the apples), you can see it clearly as well. How is he doing this? I thought maybe it was photoshop, but I can't seem to figure it out. And now I wonder if it is some form of filter maybe on his camera? Does anyone have any clues? I thought a neutral gradient filter, but that wouldn't make it really look like that I don't think.

I have a client who loves his work and wants me to try to recreate it for her, which I am more than happy to try, but I honestly have no idea how at this point. :)

Thanks for any insight or ideas.

Hi and welcome.

I didn't go so far as to verify but I believe that he is using the gradient tool on one or more layers with different filters in PS.

If this bears out then you can create an action for ease and speed w/o much trouble.

The forum management probably frowns on double posts (as do most forums). You might go back to the other one and delete it.

This effect is all the rage and hundreds of photographers are doing it.

Sorry about the double post. This is my first post here and I wasn't exactly sure where to put it (which section). I will go delete the other.

Thank you for your thoughts Mike. They are appreciated. As I am no photoshop wiz yet, I only know the basics, and what you mentioned with the gradient tool isn't one of the things I am familiar with, I will have to research that...but thank you.

Keith, I can totally understand why it would be all the rage, it gives images a very cool look. Do you have any thoughts on how its done?

Last edited:
Why not just email him and ask? And it's most likely a color gradient with various opacity, masking going on. Do a google search for that.

Assuming he used photoshop. I'm pretty positive it's gradient and color overlays in different blending modes. You pick your gradient color combo then pick your blend modes by achieving those kind of looks. I don't think any filter is used because filters don't really manipulate colors but rather textures.

Some of the shots contains the feel of a vintage look and that can be achieved by applying a solid blue layer on 10-20% Exclusion Blending Mode.

Quite a few of the shots look as if they came from my reject pile when I got overenthusiastic with some Cokin filters.

This looks like photoshop to me.

I suspect two things are happening:

1) He's dropping in layers above the main image with gradient colours and twiddling with masks and opacity

2) I think he's also doing things to the colour saturation in the main image too - possibly selectively desaturating/over saturating certain colours.

+1

playing with the colours

IMO his angles are way to candid

just MO tho

wow, thanks for all the insight everyone, all of it has helped a ton. thanks so much.

What's being one is basically a take on split-toning, in which you'd traditionally tone the shadows and highlights different colors. Except here the toning is irrespective of shadow/highlight. As others have mentioned...looks like gradients to me.

Most reactions

Back