Howard how I dislike you so...

Xmetal said:
You're = You are. ;)

Is "Y'all" supposed to mean the same thing? :???:

I know the rule, I just apply the spelling without thinking now.

And "Y'all" is more like 'you are all'.

As in "You are all a bunch of hicks.":lmao:

JonMikal said:
no

y'all = you all (plural)
us peeps in the south like to draw things out a tad

Jon, you are clearly not from that far below the Mason/Dixon (OK, I'm not either, but I work at NASA, and we have folks from Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi, oh, and few from Virginia).

Y'all -- singular for you
all y'all -- plural (not to be confused with yous all, which I've no f'in' idea what that means) ;)

jocose said:
Jon, you are clearly not from that far below the Mason/Dixon (OK, I'm not either, but I work at NASA, and we have folks from Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi, oh, and few from Virginia).

Y'all -- singular for you
all y'all -- plural (not to be confused with yous all, which I've no f'in' idea what that means) ;)

i may be wrong but don't think so, i'll let others chime in.

y'all and and all y'all would mean the same to me

Well I'm from the south. I've heard ya'll and all ya'll, which both mean the same thing. "ya" is singular for you like - love ya, ya done yet or ya dumba**. "ya'll" & "all ya'll" are plural and mean the exact same thing. The southern pronunciation for your or you're is "yer". Well, that's it for Southern 101 :p :mrgreen:

Since we are on dialects, can I ask the Canadians what and how is "eh" used? It seems that in the south, Ontario it is used more in questions. "How 'bout that hockey game eh?". But as you go further north toward Algonquin it is just a random sound in a sentence. "So, I went to the hockey game eh."

After many a day spent scientifically reaserching (ie: retail therapy) I have concluded that "youse" is actually a North Queensland saying.

Every single bloody shop I go into with a group the assistant says, "How youse going?"
However, down south, people say, "How are you going?" ahhh much nicer.

Youse is not a word! I will accept Y'all from time to time depending on hyped up I am fro chocolate frogs.

Sorry for another boring story :p

hmmm....I've been misinformed. I hate that:pissed:You get told something, and you're all proud of yourself that you something, and so you go and try to show off and BAM you get smacked down and look like a dumbass instead of impressing everyone.

But, fortunately, y'all (and all y'all) are awesome people, so I know that you won't berate me too much for my slip. ;)

jocose said:
hmmm....I've been misinformed. I hate that:pissed:You get told something, and you're all proud of yourself that you something, and so you go and try to show off and BAM you get smacked down and look like a dumbass instead of impressing everyone.

But, fortunately, y'all (and all y'all) are awesome people, so I know that you won't berate me too much for my slip. ;)

:hug:: Well we love ya anyway!!! & "yer" no more a dumba** than the rest of us! :lmao:

I don't get out of Texas much...........matter fact, don't get out of south Austin much, so I was very suprised to see just how funny it is to people above the southern states when we say "ya'll". I went to Colorado once, and I couldn't go anywhere without somebody laughing at me when I said it. They actually laugh in your face. And this is comin' from people in COLORADO. A place with a couple of mountains and a film festival, and that's it. You'd think they would be a little more humble.

d_the_sandman said:
I don't get out of Texas much...........matter fact, don't get out of south Austin much, so I was very suprised to see just how funny it is to people above the southern states when we say "ya'll". I went to Colorado once, and I couldn't go anywhere without somebody laughing at me when I said it. They actually laugh in your face. And this is comin' from people in COLORADO. A place with a couple of mountains and a film festival, and that's it. You'd think they would be a little more humble.

Naw, you need to go to Wisconsin or MN (hehe I can't spell it so I cheated); there you can say pretty much anything and do pretty much anything, and the worst you'll get is "oh gahsh" or "oh gawllly" That's where we hide the nice, friendly Americans :D

tmpadmin said:
Since we are on dialects, can I ask the Canadians what and how is "eh" used? It seems that in the south, Ontario it is used more in questions. "How 'bout that hockey game eh?". But as you go further north toward Algonquin it is just a random sound in a sentence. "So, I went to the hockey game eh."
Hmmmm, the 'eh' thing...I've noticed it creeping into the yanks lexicon lately.....jus recall you, Jon Mikal, using it in one of your posts recently (sorry can't recall which one to back myself up...arg :confused: )
Just to correct some confusion...Ontario is not in the south it is in the centre, as in 'of the universe' :lmao: :lmao: *joke*
I guess we use it to invite a response to a question asked...when we say 'eh' at the end of a question it's 'cause we want the person to answer.
The bit where peopl drop it at the end of a statement is a bit out-of-date i'd say...I lived in the north of Canada...didn't hear it much. Perpetuated and thrown out of proportion by those hosers, Bob and Doug Mackenzie of Second City fame years back.
Anyway from my experience on MSN with people of all nationalities I have to say I'm finding it is becoming a universal thing...so I guess it has just oozed it's way into the english language.

of course I could be wrong about all this ('cept the part about Ontario :D ;) ) and jus be spouting crap.

The last time I was in Algonquin it was used quite liberally (About 10 years ago). However, you are partly correct about Ontario being the center of the universe because, we in Buffalo, NY (especially the politicians here) are the actual dead center and Ontario was just scooped in due to its proximity.

JonK said:
Hmmmm, the 'eh' thing...I've noticed it creeping into the yanks lexicon lately.....jus recall you, Jon Mikal, using it in one of your posts recently (sorry can't recall which one to back myself up...arg :confused: )
Just to correct some confusion...Ontario is not in the south it is in the centre, as in 'of the universe' :lmao: :lmao: *joke*
I guess we use it to invite a response to a question asked...when we say 'eh' at the end of a question it's 'cause we want the person to answer.
The bit where peopl drop it at the end of a statement is a bit out-of-date i'd say...I lived in the north of Canada...didn't hear it much. Perpetuated and thrown out of proportion by those hosers, Bob and Doug Mackenzie of Second City fame years back.
Anyway from my experience on MSN with people of all nationalities I have to say I'm finding it is becoming a universal thing...so I guess it has just oozed it's way into the english language.

of course I could be wrong about all this ('cept the part about Ontario :D ;) ) and jus be spouting crap.

but no-one answers me :p maybe 'm not spelling it right, eh?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back