How's this for a cloud shot?

Golden Helmet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey. I'm new (both here, and relatively new to photography as well) so no hurting me please.

Anyways, it was a bit cloudy yesterday, so I thought I'd pull out my camera and try my luck. I'll post a linky below so as not to stretch the page (though if this isn't acceptable, please slap me with a fish).

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/59528768/ (if the link doesn't work, give a yell. I'm new to Deviantart)

I personally like it and it's replaced my previous wallpaper. I rotated the camera a little bit before snapping, though that's probably hard to tell for a cloud shot anyways. But I'd like to get some opinions on it. Should I have zoomed in\out more, used a faster\slower shutter speed, did I do a horrible job in the composition, or should I just give up entirely and throw out my cam? :p

It's ok but it isn't very interesting. The clouds look nice and all but there should be something else included. Maybe you should take a picture of a tree or something with the clouds as the sky. Then it would have more of a subject.

Keep on tryin.

Heya Golden_Helmet, and welcome to ThePhotoForum.
It is absolutely acceptable if you post a link into your original thread, it is even wiser to put up the photo in question right away for not every viewer has the time to go from post via link to pic and back, so the response is usually better when the photo shows up directly. But there is no "slapping with fish" here either way ;).

About the photo ... well, I am with RKW here, it is - overall - a bit void. I do see how it can make a good wallpaper, giving ample space for icons and all, but I doubt it would stand on its own. You can take photos of only the sky, no foreground, no "anchor" anywhere, but maybe in that case the clouds as such should be a tad more --- textured, maybe. With more shape? See what I mean?

But hey, don't throw your camera away as yet!!!! :shock:
You have only just tried.
Try and try again. And then more and more!

Thanks for the replies, very helpful I'll definitely keep them in mind when framing my next shot. The only thing I really could have included in the shot was some dead pine tree's, since the shot was from out my bedroom window. Pretty sure nobody wants to see that :p

Great attempt! Many folks could blow out a shot like this. You pulled it off very nice. :thumbup: I agree with the other people on here..just needs a little "umph". Can't wait to see future posts and images from you!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back