Hoyt

Missdaisy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a little photoshoot of my husband several months ago when he got a new bow. I love this particular portrait, but he despises it. Tell me what you think.

4505_1058417307103_1426001003_30158.jpg

It's John Travolta!

Its kind of tough to tell what exactly he is holding, and his expression looks pretty angry (perhaps that what you were going for). My initial thoughts on pic of someone with a new "toy" would be to take a photo while it's in use. I think that you could come up with the same expression w/out (strong intensity) w/out making him look angry. Just my two cents
As far as composition, you may want to try using the rule of thirds to help out. You do have nice even lighting and I'm kind of a sucker for the vignette. Great focus also and good DOF.
Oh yea and your hubby looks a lot like John Travolta

Like the comp but it overall has a dull flat feel to it, seems more mystical/fashion, rather then hunter on the prowel

I think you definitely went overboard on the vignetting on this. Also, I feel like if you had him turn just a little bit so we could get a side view of the bow would have been a better choice for this one. This would have created a bit less even light on his face as well.

I think the vignette is fine. The major problems, in my humble opinion, are that

1: I had no idea it was a bow until I read what you wrote, and
2: His pose. Very stiff, his butt/hip sticks way out to the side.

I think I know what you were aiming for, and I think you're probably close. Just some small adjustments and you have it.

I think the vignette is fine. The major problems, in my humble opinion, are that

1: I had no idea it was a bow until I read what you wrote, and
2: His pose. Very stiff, his butt/hip sticks way out to the side.

I think I know what you were aiming for, and I think you're probably close. Just some small adjustments and you have it.

+1

I'm not sure how you CAN'T tell that's a bow he's holding....it's pretty obvious to me!! lol You can see his quiver, site, even the name of the bow.... anyways....

I like it! He looks more serious to me than p.o.ed, which makes sense when you're hunting/shooting. Focus is nice and I like the setting.

I think its a great photo. Maybe snap a few more in different places. Maybe some with his truck and getting ready to go hunting. Tell the story a bit more. The photo though looks fine. :thumbup:

His body position looks very odd...the way his arm is rested upon his knee, and the way his butt is off to the side looks, well, quite odd. THe elbow on the knee twists his shoulders and gives him a contorted look. His expression is kind of hard to read--it looks like stoicism, or maybe annoyance, or feigned seriousness. I can see why he does not like the rendering of himself. Other than the body posing, the shot looks okay though--I like the location, and the soft lighting is easy on they eyes.

A bow is one of the all-time great props. You should be able to get a great shot of him stretching the bow, off on an angle.

Get a side on shot of him shooting and take the shot right when he releases so you can see the arrow flex and the string snap (hopefully) haha.

Most reactions

Back