hrtfd dog pound; euthanizing everyday this week

sarallyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
if you know some one near CT that wants a dog, please ask them to consider a dog from the hartford dog pound.
each dog gets 10 days to either get claimed/adopted. if they don't get out of the pound by then, they're euthanized.
please consider adoption!

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/cityofhartford.html

remember to check in on the website regularly -- they get new dogs every day!

here are some dogs there now -- mostly chihuahuas and pit bulls (for more information on pit bulls, please visit pbrc.net. they're awesome dogs with a bad rap! PM or post here if you'd like info on them!)

these aren't all of them... only a few;

CT141.11925407-2-pn.jpg

CT141.11924707-1-pn.jpg

CT141.11925599-1-pn.jpg

CT141.11925664-1-pn.jpg

CT141.11925456-1-pn.jpg

CT141.11925538-1-pn.jpg

CT141.11925697-1-pn.jpg

would except for crazy flaggers. :thumbup:

Aww, I'd love to, but my parents do not want a dog.

We adopted our cat from the SPCA, though. And I agree - people should really consider adoption rather than going to breeders.

Ohhhh....no, no, no....:( I couldn't look....I just couldn't! :cry:

Hope those pooches find a new home soon!!!

We got one of our pooches from the pound years ago, when I was a kid. BEST dog EVER!!

He was a mutt, just under a year old when we got him. But, when we were looking around at all the dogs in the pound he just sat quietly. He almost didn't even look "sad"...it was more "annoyed" or something. All these people going through the place and he wondered why one earth he was still behind bars. He barely looked at us. There was something special about him though...and we knew he had to be ours!! It wasn't until he heard the words, "We'll take HIM!", that he jumped up and down like crazy!! Hair flew everywhere! After the leash was on him he dragged us to the car...never looking back.

We were so lucky....there had been a deadly virus there JUST after we took our boy home...he was one of the lucky ones!

:heart::heart: Beloved Scruffy, RIP :heart::heart:

:(:(:(I hope everyone of these dogs find the homes they deserve. I know two people that have pit bulls and they are awesome dogs. When dogs are trained and loved properly, they can be your best bud.
Good luck on your search Sarallyn

Speaking of dogs, my wife worked at a No-Kill shelter, it's simply amazing to see how many people abandon their 'kids'!!! This Sunday we volunteered to take out for an extended walk two pure breed German Shepard dogs (puppies) which are very special. They were left behind to die in one of the foreclosed homes here in Phoenix. The bigger one, the Alpha dog, usually takes care of the little brother and when no one fed them, he managed to jump a 6ft tall fence to gather food, which then he brought back to his brother. He waited until his brother ate and then he ate too. These dogs are amazing!

Didn't mean to hijack the OP but I just want to emphasize how wonderful dogs can be found at shelters! People, go adopt one at your nearby shelter. Save them little souls with big hearts!

Speaking of dogs, my wife worked at a No-Kill shelter, it's simply amazing to see how many people abandon their 'kids'!!! This Sunday we volunteered to take out for an extended walk two pure breed German Shepard dogs (puppies) which are very special. They were left behind to die in one of the foreclosed homes here in Phoenix. The bigger one, the Alpha dog, usually takes care of the little brother and when no one fed them, he managed to jump a 6ft tall fence to gather food, which then he brought back to his brother. He waited until his brother ate and then he ate too. These dogs are amazing!

Didn't mean to hijack the OP but I just want to emphasize how wonderful dogs can be found at shelters! People, go adopt one at your nearby shelter. Save them little souls with big hearts!

Wow....that is amazing!!!

I have a German Shepherd. I would live on the streets before I would give him up. A beautiful awesome best friend.

I have a German Shepherd. I would live on the streets before I would give him up. A beautiful awesome best friend.

You, my friend, are truly blessed! GS dogs are the best and most intelligent dogs out there!

You, my friend, are truly blessed! GS dogs are the best and most intelligent dogs out there!
I took Kane away from an abusive owner when he was 6 months old. He was kept in a cage, and tormented by this guys 3 kids, who would poke him through the bars pull his ears, cause the cage was too small, and get him all freaked out. When he did not settle down, this ******* would take the boots to him. His wife came to her senses and decided to "get rid" of him, so I took Kane away. He will be 11 years old next month. Dogs need a "family" not an owner

Good luck with this. :heart: I hope you've posted in several forums, especially locally.

I wish all shelters could be "no kill" shelters; I have a friend who works at one and it is a wonderful place. I know that funding is an ongoing problem, though.

Here's hoping these guys find new families!

I saved my dog from an abusive family too. My little Turbo is a Chug (chihuahua/pug). An expensive dog if you were to buy him from a breeder. But those horrible a$$wipes would beat him and starve him, they let his sister wander out into the road and watched her get hit by a car. Luckily their neighbor stole my little Turbo away from the family, took him to the vet, and my friend who works there gave him to me. He is the best little guy ever and funny as hell.
I agree, dogs need to be saved. I heard once that having a dog is good for the soul, and having the right dog will actually add years onto your life because they are able to reduce your stress.

BTW

All the pounds around here are CONSTANTLY saying "OMG FLUFFYBUNNY DIES IN 3 DAYS IF YOU DON'T SAVE HER!!!"

They're back on next week, their "last chance at life".

Really.

With the SPCA once the animals are worked out if they are adoptable they only give the animals 10 days for adoption, its sad but necassary, I personaly couldnt work at a kill shelter

I do how ever volunteer at a non kill non proffit cat shelter, we have some crazy cats that will never be rehomed but also some loving cats that will make some one a great pet, right now we have a shortage of funds and volunteers (its a volunteer based organisation) so we are strugelling.

I find the work rewarding and sadening at the same time, we constently get calls from people moving house and cant take there pet, or even people who can no longer afford there pets-its a sign of the times I fear. There are also pet owners who die, and the family cant take on another pet-which is understandable but soooo so sad.

Its kitten season at the moment and our shelter is now full, we have had 8 kittens dropped off just this last week-these babies way under 2lb and are only just old enough to fend for them selves.

I love reading how you all have helped resuce pets, or just given a pet a nice home, I think its great.

Oh and now its time to thread jack this dog thread with a cute cuddly....

2860221714_e86e433eaa.jpg

Seriously though if you ever consider getting a pet, check out your local shelters, doesnt matter what part of the world you are in, there is always a pet that will be suitable for you at a shelter.

and to the original Poster have you tried petfinder.com?

Most reactions

Back