HS Football C&C

I have used the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS... I shot an indoor swim meet, pee-wee football game and a High School basketball game (indoors) with it. My PERSONAL opinion was image quality was the same as my non-os HSMII. It also fogged up like crazy at the swim meet.. to the point i thought i'd have to pay the owner to get it fixed :blushing:.

The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS is a great lens.. It was/is my opinion that for sports (like the subject of this thread) the OS version is priced too close to a used Nikon 70-200 vri (I can point you to a few right now for $1400 - $1600).

All of this is my opinion.. and everybody on the internet has one :)

However... calling it just as good as Nikon's 70-200? I would like you to find me one 'professional' review that says that. I can find you 100's that say Nikon's 70-200 (both vr1 and vr2) are the benchmarks.

When the lens fogged up, did you come in from the cold into the pool? I'm surprised that it would fog up at all.

I have gone from the cold inside and had a fog issue, but never anything like that and not for very long.

I have used the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS... I shot an indoor swim meet, pee-wee football game and a High School basketball game (indoors) with it. My PERSONAL opinion was image quality was the same as my non-os HSMII. It also fogged up like crazy at the swim meet.. to the point i thought i'd have to pay the owner to get it fixed :blushing:.

The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS is a great lens.. It was/is my opinion that for sports (like the subject of this thread) the OS version is priced too close to a used Nikon 70-200 vri (I can point you to a few right now for $1400 - $1600).

All of this is my opinion.. and everybody on the internet has one :)

However... calling it just as good as Nikon's 70-200? I would like you to find me one 'professional' review that says that. I can find you 100's that say Nikon's 70-200 (both vr1 and vr2) are the benchmarks.

They are the benchmarks. I said that the OS was a direct competitor not an equivalent. The Nikon is a better lens, as I said. But it's not $1000 better.

For the price points, if you are going to compare, then compare the used Sigma, not the brand new lens. That wouldn't even make a bit of sense would it?
The Nikon is still $500 more expensive if comparing used price points.

Bottom line - The Sigma OS is excellent at it's price point and gives the Nikon a run for it's money.

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO EX DG OS Lens: First Impressions After a Few Weeks of Shooting (Nikon D7000) - YouTube
70-200mm f2.8 shootout - Part 4 - Sigma OS vs Tamron vs Nikon VRII - Conclusion & focus issues - YouTube

I have gone from the cold inside and had a fog issue, but never anything like that and not for very long.

The only fog issue I have ever had, was with my camera, not the lens. Going from an ice cold car to a very humid hot summer day caused the mirror on my camera to fog.

This is why I asked the question, I've also gone from shooting football in november and then into the dressing room and the lens and camera fog up, I learned that lesson 35 years ago. Taking cold gear into a humid atmosphere the gear will fog up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back