HTML Help

dtzitko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
web.me.com
Mods if this could be put in a better forum, please move it, or let me know and I'll move it.

I figured there's some folks on here that are good with web design/etc... so here goes.

I'm working on an assignment for an Information Systems class where I have to make a website. Simple stuff, but I'm trying to get a little more in depth just to have a little fun with it.

Anyway...two questions:

First, is there a way to change the indent of an unordered list?

Second, is there a way to change the actual borders of a frameset? I really hate the corny, 90's look of the default frame borders. I'd like just a simple dotted line. The only thing I can find is in a CSS style sheet, something I have no clue how to use or incorporate into a basic HTML frameset.

I don't know much about frames, as my sites don't use them (I lay everything out in DIV containers, which is similar), however, I do know that that which can be styled in css can be styled in HTML. All you need to do is add style="" with your CSS code inside the quotes, for example:

Say you wanted to make a <DIV> have a dashed border: <DIV style="border: 5px dashed #800000"></div> would give you a 5px wide, dashed, dark red border on the DIV element.

To take it further, you could center a 400x400px DIV on the page with this code: <DIV style="position: absolute; width: 400px; height: 400px; top: 50%; margin-top: -200px; left: 50%; left-margin: -200px; border: 5px dashed #8000">

Like I said, this could be all hooey for frames, but my hunch is it'll work (Just be sure to test it in all 5 big browsers.)

As for the unordered lists, well here is a page on CSS styling for your lists, and once again, all the code can be just put in the style="" parameter.

If you're really trying to go further, though, I'd recommend doing either a CSS section in your HTML head, (Use the tags <style type="text/css"></style> inside your <head>, with the CSS code in between the tags.) or linking to a separate CSS style sheet. Make a second document called style.css, and put all your css code there. Link to it with: <LINK href="special.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"> in the head, assuming you're using HTML 4.01 (Syntax is different for XHTML, but you probably don't have to worry about that.)

If you need any help, feel free to ask, I'm glad to offer what advice I can. BTW, I just finished coding my new website (in the sig) if you want to take a look :)

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, and before turning it in, it'd be wise to make sure it's standards compliant, just to cover your bases with the teacher. Copy and paste your code here: http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input, and your CSS code here: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/#validate_by_input)

EDIT 2: If you want to know how anything is done on my site, look at the source code. It's pretty well commented, and I'm happy to explain anything that isn't

I don't know much about frames, as my sites don't use them (I lay everything out in DIV containers, which is similar), however, I do know that that which can be styled in css can be styled in HTML. All you need to do is add style="" with your CSS code inside the quotes, for example:

Say you wanted to make a <DIV> have a dashed border: <DIV style="border: 5px dashed #800000"></div> would give you a 5px wide, dashed, dark red border on the DIV element.

To take it further, you could center a 400x400px DIV on the page with this code: <DIV style="position: absolute; width: 400px; height: 400px; top: 50%; margin-top: -200px; left: 50%; left-margin: -200px; border: 5px dashed #8000">

Like I said, this could be all hooey for frames, but my hunch is it'll work (Just be sure to test it in all 5 big browsers.)

As for the unordered lists, well here is a page on CSS styling for your lists, and once again, all the code can be just put in the style="" parameter.

If you're really trying to go further, though, I'd recommend doing either a CSS section in your HTML head, (Use the tags <style type="text/css"></style> inside your <head>, with the CSS code in between the tags.) or linking to a separate CSS style sheet. Make a second document called style.css, and put all your css code there. Link to it with: <LINK href="special.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"> in the head, assuming you're using HTML 4.01 (Syntax is different for XHTML, but you probably don't have to worry about that.)

If you need any help, feel free to ask, I'm glad to offer what advice I can. BTW, I just finished coding my new website (in the sig) if you want to take a look :)

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, and before turning it in, it'd be wise to make sure it's standards compliant, just to cover your bases with the teacher. Copy and paste your code here: The W3C Markup Validation Service, and your CSS code here: The W3C CSS Validation Service)

EDIT 2: If you want to know how anything is done on my site, look at the source code. It's pretty well commented, and I'm happy to explain anything that isn't

Alrighty. Thanks for the tips. It's looking like I'm going to just go with what I've got. I'm really looking for an answer that is uses HTML, and not CSS. I'll keep looking (w3schools.com has gotten A LOT of hits from me today) but I'm not worried about it too much. I can add flair in other ways.

The problem is that many HTML elements have been replaced by CSS, like "align" souldn't be used anymore, rather style="text-align: center", at least according to w3c, but if you want a purely html way of doing it, I'm not sure...

Most reactions

Back