Humming Bird C&C

Ecas32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
this was my first attempt ever at shooting a humming bird. all i had to use was my on camera flash, so i did the best i could :)

IMG_2763_final.jpg

edit- wow the image quality totally deteriated when i put it on photobucket...

Last edited:
Neat shot. I've never tried shooting a hummingbird before, but it's something I might give a go at if the weather ever gets better.

It looks like the flash blew some of your highlights, which is unfortunate. It also looks a little overexposed for my tastes. A tighter crop might look a bit better, but that's pretty subjective.

All in all, a pretty nice shot.

ya i would of liked to get a better crop but the bird was almost out of the frame in this shot.... im gonna try again tomorrow, hopefully with better results. i may try and make a diffuser for the flash though so its not as harsh

I like this photo quite a bit. I don't see any blown area on my monitor except a couple of small spots on the feeder which I could live with.

I love the wing image in front of the bird.

thanks cloudwalker!
and plato- ill take that as a compliment i guess? lol

and haha ya i didnt even notice the wing motinon in front of it... but susposedly they beat 80 times a second !!

Actually, it depends on their size. Some have been clocked at 200 beats per second but the larger ones can go as slow as 18 bps. At least, that's what I've read. I haven't tried counting myself :lol:

All that to say that if you wanted to freeze the wing motion, you'd need to find the bigger ones to shoot. :D

yup. the ways the pros do it though is use a strobe flash to do the freezing and jack there aperature up to like f11-13. they actually have to use like 3-5 strobe flashes to be able to light everything- foreground, background, and way back ground lol.

all i had was one on camera built in flash :p

Hummers are very methodical in their behaviour around a feeder. Their tendancy is to hover, go in for a sip, back off and hover before doing the old Castanza double dip. That's where you want to catch them.... on the second hover. If you were to pre-focus on the feeder and then change your PoV so that the feeder is not in the frame, I think you will have a much more pleasing result. I would suggest an aperture of f/4 to f/6.3, shutter speed as fast as you can stand, flash if necessary.

If you had a multiple-port feeder, then I would suggest to tape over the ports you're not interested in shooting. They learn very quickly where the nectar is.

yup. the ways the pros do it though is use a strobe flash to do the freezing and jack there aperature up to like f11-13. they actually have to use like 3-5 strobe flashes to be able to light everything- foreground, background, and way back ground lol.

all i had was one on camera built in flash :p
That may be, but it isn't absolutely necessary for "decent" results. The built-in flash sucks and shouldn't be used except as a last ditch effort to save a capture.

These were captured sans flash.

Click

Click

Last edited:
FYI, your links don't appear to be working. "Page not found."

Edit: You just have some TPF address in front of the image tags. Or maybe you have image tags when you meant it to be a link.

That may be, but it isn't absolutely necessary for "decent" results. The built-in flash sucks and shouldn't be used except as a last ditch effort to save a capture.

well i guess you could consider it as a last ditch effort to save the capture, but its all i had. im 15 and cant afford a shoe flash ):

whats a sans flash?

oh ok
so ya thats pretty much the same thing as what i did, but instead of having natural lighting to make the bird bright, i just used the fill flash, artificial lighting.

all i was saying is that the pros use most only artificial lighting, no ambient light because of the high f stop they use, they have to light everything with strobes

Most reactions

Back