I <3 Bagels

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score

Using a 4x5 view camera, I took this this morning. C+C welcome

I like the beagles but find the fruit a distraction.... crop tight and remove the remaining fruit....shot is a tad yellow. Overall I like it... looks natural.

I like the beagles but find the fruit a distraction.... crop tight and remove the remaining fruit....shot is a tad yellow. Overall I like it... looks natural.

Why would you find the fruit distracting? It's a part of the subject.

The image is fine. What I find distracting is that you call those things "bagels". I call them bread dough with a hole in the middle. "Real" bagels are made only on the island of Montreal, and are a culinary masterpiece. Every thing else is just a poor imitation. Oh wait - I just remembered that someone in New York is trying to educate the rabble what real bagels are, by using the Montreal recipe AND wood-fired ovens. Gotta find the link to that. Ok, here it is... Montreal-style bagel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

:lol:

Nice - Does it need to be so warm on the WB

But you see, that's where you're mistaken. The dough used for "real" bagels isn't bread dough. Yes, there's flour, yeast, and water, but there's also eggs. And to get that wonderful crust, they are boiled (well, more like blaunched), then set on wood racks against the wood fire in the oven... Honestly - it just ain't the same. But if you haven't ever had the real thing, I can understand why you would be confused. Our Vermont friends still come away with whole trunkfulls when they come visiting, and at the border, HomeLand Security verify that they aren't contraband by testing two or three. If you ever come to Montreal, there's a list of things you need to try, and bagels fresh from the oven are on that list.

But you see, that's where you're mistaken. The dough used for "real" bagels isn't bread dough. Yes, there's flour, yeast, and water, but there's also eggs. And to get that wonderful crust, they are boiled (well, more like blaunched), then set on wood racks against the wood fire in the oven... Honestly - it just ain't the same. But if you haven't ever had the real thing, I can understand why you would be confused. Our Vermont friends still come away with whole trunkfulls when they come visiting, and at the border, HomeLand Security verify that they aren't contraband by testing two or three. If you ever come to Montreal, there's a list of things you need to try, and bagels fresh from the oven are on that list.

There are eggs in this dough, and they are made that way here. Have you ever had these bagels?

Edit: I guess you weren't kidding in your original post. I've had Montreal bagels and I don't like them. I like NY style bagels better, being that I'm in NY.
I'd prefer to keep the discussion about this image.

Last edited:
Man o man forget my WB comment just to be spewing C and C, ya'll are getting deep here
dblthumb2.gif

Man o man forget my WB comment just to be spewing C and C, ya'll are getting deep here
dblthumb2.gif

I think it seems warm because there's so much brown and yellow, but I used a color checker and zero'd out the WB in camera and then cooled it down slightly in PS.

@ Ballistics, yes I have. My poor misguided relatives living in New York tried to convince me that their stuff was better. Ah, no-one is as blind as those who will not see (or taste ;) ).

J/k. The bagel wars have to be fought accompanied with lox, cream cheese, and good company. And after that war is done, we'll start with the smoked meat.

These look so good, love the fruits it completes the image.
Best bagels I have ever tried are in the jewish quarter in Montreal! Pgriz I agree with you!

Are these from Panera? If your goal was to make a gal salivate for bagels, you have succeeded... *sigh* I miss bagels. Anyone feel like launching a bagel shop in Tanzania???

P.S. I think the photo is great...then again, I'm hungry

Why would you find the fruit distracting? It's a part of the subject.

The fruits are not fresh they have spots and some shrivel, the apple is dull. Don't want to be super critical but I have shot a lot of food for many years and just trying to help you up your game.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back