I am back

m33kr0b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After more than 6 months being out of photography due to equipment theft.... I have returned :). I am slightly photographer blocked but I am trying to break the block with my new equipment.

Here is a pic from a photowalk I did in downtown Kalamazoo this past weekend.
4389746821_fabca10f6c_b.jpg

Tell me what you think

Josh

I really like it. But too bad about that person in the purple (if it is in fact a person).

Sorry, no face, no interest. The photo has a busy background, and the focal point of the image, the pointing finger, is not in focus.

A different perspective, higher or lower, may have been helpful too. Some flash for fill and modeling could overcome the flat light from what looked to be a day with a moderate overcast. Flash would have also provided a measure of separation of the subject from the background.

Most professionals use supplimental light both outside and inside.

KMH
What if the bokeh was better?
I understand about the finger/focal point, if the bokeh was better, would that not help?

KMH
What if the bokeh was better?
I understand about the finger/focal point, if the bokeh was better, would that not help?
That depends on what you mean when you use the word bokeh. To me an out of focus background is just a function of DOF, and isn't bokeh.

To get the finger in focus too, the OP would have needed to use a smaller aperture, meaning the background would have had less blur because the depth-of-field had been increased. Unless, the lens to subject distance changed.

What it boils down to is the OP didn't use or didn't have the right lens to use for the shot, though if was a zoom lens they used, a change of focal length and lens to subject distance may have gotten the fingertip in focus and rendered the background even more out of focus, even with a smaller aperture.

If the camera doesn't have a DOF preview button or the photographer doesn't use it if there is one, it's like driving a submarine. You really can't see what's out there.

Most reactions

Back