I am going to be...

Timppa

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
... A FATHER!

Hi :D
in a couple of months the big day is there, I will be a father! I am really happy and I am already thinking, how can I make the best pictures possible :)
What would you recommend to me to get the most out of it?
I currently have a D7500 with Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
then a wide angle 10-20 and a zoom 200-500 (but I don't think these are so usefull).

I was thinking about the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, because its IQ is amazing, but I do hear that it has some focusing issues? Also on my crop and when I want to film in 4k (ofcourse), it becomes a 40-80mm (roughly equivalent), covering the 50mm and 80mm that I read is great for baby photography, But is it also for filming?
Or should I just go with a 24mm, 35mm or 50mm prime lens?

How about macro lenses? would these be great for this kind of photography?

Thank you in advance! :)

I’m a new father myself, what you currently have is fine for photos of your kid. I’m not knowledgeable about video, if I were to add one item it’d be a 35 fast prime.

Congrats to you and your family, I agree on maybe getting the 35mm prime as I loved my one when I had Nikon.

Congrat's.

You think you are going to have time for photos?!
Just kidding. Congrats and best wishes.
Sorry can't help on the photo question....

Thank you all :)

So I guess a 35mm prime it is!
I am really thinking for the Sigma 18-35 though, that is like so many primes in one!
And in video I get a 1.5 crop, so if i want a 35mm equivalent I can use it at 24mm (without buying another prime ^^)

Alright, I have made a decision!
I am able to buy a good prices Sigma 18-35 (425EUR or 480USD) in excellent condition, next week I am picking it up :D

Congratulations! Beside lenses, if you do not have a flash yet, I will recommend one (or more).

Congratulations! Beside lenses, if you do not have a flash yet, I will recommend one (or more).

I was thinking about it aswel lately
What would you recommend?
I was thinking a sb700 or sb900
Are there accessories that I should think of that might come in handy?

Sorry, I am not too familiar with the Nikon flash system. However, being a big bro of the 2, I expect SB900 is more powerful (higher guide number), more features (esp on TTL mode) and works better in the Nikon CLS system but at the same time, should cost more. Of course, if budget allow, personally I will pick SB900.

Edit: My profile picture are 3 of the sugar gliders I have. As you may notice the catch lights in their eyes (little white dots) Yup, on-camera flash bounce off the ceiling help create that catch lights.

Unfortunately, for me, price is always a concern. So I will pick a cheaper one that will the job that I need so I end up using a 3rd parties non-TTL flashes and learn how to use them.

For indoor/outdoor new born photos, SB700 should be fine whether you use it as on-camera or off-camera flash. But flash does make a difference, as least for me. Even if you use a 50mm shoot @f/2, just add some light to the subject (i.e. bounce light off the white ceiling and create some shadow) will make the photo more interesting.

For outdoor shoot, chances are you need to take photo of your kid at noon or the Sun is right above you and you do not have an assistant to hold a giant diffusion panel to soften the light, then using the flash to fill the shadow should help.

So yes, that is why I recommend a flash. (I wish someone told me about the flash when my daughter was born and I was new to photography)

Last edited:

Sorry, I am not too familiar with the Nikon flash system. However, being a big bro of the 2, I expect SB900 is more powerful (higher guide number), more features (esp on TTL mode) and works better in the Nikon CLS system but at the same time, should cost more. Of course, if budget allow, personally I will pick SB900.

Edit: My profile picture are 3 of the sugar gliders I have. As you may notice the catch lights in their eyes (little white dots) Yup, on-camera flash bounce off the ceiling help create that catch lights.

Unfortunately, for me, price is always a concern. So I will pick a cheaper one that will the job that I need so I end up using a 3rd parties non-TTL flashes and learn how to use them.

For indoor/outdoor new born photos, SB700 should be fine whether you use it as on-camera or off-camera flash. But flash does make a difference, as least for me. Even if you use a 50mm shoot @f/2, just add some light to the subject (i.e. bounce light off the white ceiling and create some shadow) will make the photo more interesting.

For outdoor shoot, chances are you need to take photo of your kid at noon or the Sun is right above you and you do not have an assistant to hold a giant diffusion panel to soften the light, then using the flash to fill the shadow should help.

So yes, that is why I recommend a flash. (I wish someone told me about the flash when my daughter was born and I was new to photography)

Thank you for all this information :)
I am currently looking into buying a flash!
And great profile pic :D

what you already have will work fine, unless you want to shoot video. If so, you will want to look at cinematic lenses although something with a fixed f stop like the 24-70mm f2.8 will work great. Lighting might be of more value to you and get a book or two on portrait photography for kids. Then practice.

So I have the possiblity to buy a sb700 for 200eur
Or a sb910 for 240eur.
I know the sb910 is better and perhaps better value for money, but the 700 is smaller and lighter and I don't know if i really need all the 910 options.
Any toughts?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back