I am so privileged - -

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
- to be able to take pictures of these beautiful wild creatures up close. I keep my Canon S5 with a Sony 1.7 tel-converter on it all the time, in case something appears in the yard when the other cameras have short lenses on. It has paid off many times. Here are some shots with a "point & shoot" I got this evening. BTW, I for one do not consider the S5 as a point & shoot as many here might.

IMG_4231sm.jpg

IMG_4234sm.jpg

IMG_4237sm.jpg

4. Is that a flea or a burr bothering you?

IMG_4235Sm.jpg

I don't know about you Ron, but I am going to try and get a shot of a skunk in spraying action...one would have to know where a skunk is going to be...have a cardboard cutout setup (think "The Lonely Guy" with Steve Martin and Charles Grodin with the cutouts of celebrities) with a spring and some line...have a pile of food to entice the skunks over...have the camera setup pretty close (remotely) to where the skunks should be...then wait for them to come over...pull the line...cutouts stand up...scare skunks into defense mode and hopefully they'll spray at the cardboard...it'd be funny to get the cutout in frame too with a surprised look as it gets sprayed...its a lot of work for one shot so I don't actually think I'd go through with all that...but perhaps...just an idea...nice photos...skunks are awesome...thanks for sharing these Ron...

In the recent past we have had a problem with rabid skunks.

This would fill people with terror around here.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hi Ron, very good shots. I admire your confidence in being around animals of various stripes (sorry, couldn't resist the pun :blushing:) . But if you were to have this opportunity again, I would suggest maybe erring on the side of over-exposure since their faces are black and it seems that their faces would be interesting to see. On the other hand, I do understand that if you get those clearly, the white areas will probably be blown out. I have a black and white cat and she is very difficult to expose for properly, as half her face is white and the other is black, and it's hard to find an exposure that doesn't either block the black or blow the white.

I don't know about you Ron, but I am going to try and get a shot of a skunk in spraying action...one would have to know where a skunk is going to be...have a cardboard cutout setup (think "The Lonely Guy" with Steve Martin and Charles Grodin with the cutouts of celebrities) with a spring and some line...have a pile of food to entice the skunks over...have the camera setup pretty close (remotely) to where the skunks should be...then wait for them to come over...pull the line...cutouts stand up...scare skunks into defense mode and hopefully they'll spray at the cardboard...it'd be funny to get the cutout in frame too with a surprised look as it gets sprayed...its a lot of work for one shot so I don't actually think I'd go through with all that...but perhaps...just an idea...nice photos...skunks are awesome...thanks for sharing these Ron...

So long as your camera didnt get a trace of the spray on it. It would definately be a turn off to customers to have the slight smell up skunk comming from your camera lol

Thanks for your comments folks.

I have 38 years invested in creating an environment for wildlife from a bald-headed hill. I just hope I have a few years left to enjoy it.

But you did a great service to all of us...when you leave...you can go knowing that those behind you will benefit from your hard work...thank you for that...

I see you got the Skunks with your point and shoot. I just hope they don't get you with their "point n shoot". Great pics. Love them!

Most reactions

Back