I am the n00b :P

nitefly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rawmusicians.com
Hey,

I am really new to photography and to tell the truth, I don't really know what makes a "good" photo. I took this photo today so I'd appreciate anyones advice on what i could have done better and what's bad about the pic.

Many thanks,

Nath.

imanoob.jpg

well, why do YOU like the shot? I personally dont care for it as its a gas pump. its composed well as the pump is off to the side giving it a bit of drama. When I decide if I like a shot or nit I like to think "would I like this shot if it were hanging on my wall?" if so, then it doesnt matter what others think. A good photo technicaly needs good lighting, composition, framing, a point of focus etc, but theres no way of looking at a photo and saying it is "good" or not, its subjective. Looking foreward to more of your work, just keep shooting and you will soon not have to worry about knowing if your pics are good or not... they will all be good.

-Joe

There's nothing technically very wrong with the picture other than it's rather lacklustre subject. I can identify with being bored at Morrisons though, so I'll let you off.

It's a touch grainy and there's some slightly odd noise in the dark areas, presumably it was a reasonably high ISO film or just a scanning artifact.

I'd recommend that you take pictures of something/someone that you really care about. Doesn't matter if it's animals, landscapes, people, skateboarding, violent yobs, old men in irish bars with craggy faces, droplets of water... (ok I'll stop now) but it really helps if you have emotional contact with your subject.

Now imagine trying to portray your best friend's personality to us, in a single 1/125th of a second. Is he/she, cheeky, shy whatever... this is the type of thinking I do with a picture and it's only the pictures where I'm trying to achieve a conveyence of meaning which turn out good. Everything else is a snapshot.

Hope this is helpful, rather than the ramblings of a looney.

Rob

nitefly said:
I don't really know what makes a "good" photo.

tell me someone who does. bottom line is whether you like it or not. i have many images others don't like, but i think they're killer :greenpbl: so guess who's happy :)

nice capture! :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum Nightfly. I agree with everyone else here. If there is a shot you like , that is what matters. Everybody has a different eye, and different opinion for what is a "good" shot. Sometimes take a shot..and move around your subject a bit...to get a different angle. Dont be afraid to experiment...and most of all just have fun.
oh yeah...nice first image.

Well thanks for the replies all. I appreciate it. I understand what you mean but I was sitting in the car waiting for my mom to fill up with diesel so thought I'd take a random pic lol..

I took some more pics yesterday of some more interesting things so I will post them up later for opinions.

Seeing as I'm teh n00b :greenpbl:, shall I post more pics in this thread or create a new thread each time?

Thanks again,

Nathan.

I like this shot and I think what you saw in person was much more dramatic than this shot shows. I like the lonely feel of the Gas station late at night. I also noticed a little bit of graininess(sp). It also looks to be tilted slightly to the left. I would shoot it again with a tripod and/or with someone pumping. just a suggestion from another noob. Oh, and if the shots are unrelated I would say that you should start a new thread. Good work though and keep it up!:mrgreen:

nitefly said:
Well thanks for the replies all. I appreciate it. I understand what you mean but I was sitting in the car waiting for my mom to fill up with diesel so thought I'd take a random pic lol..

Seeing as I'm teh n00b :greenpbl:, shall I post more pics in this thread or create a new thread each time?

Thanks again,

Nathan.

Hey Nathan,

I could guess the first paragraph. With a bit more information that shot could have been called "Waiting.... Bored!".

I'd say post a new thread so peeps don't have to scroll.

Keep em coming!

Rob

Actually i like this, the pump being over exposed and the colours of the stickers is great, contrasting the muddy backdrop and ground is great. Good stuff, interesting as well especially concidering it is a petrol pump, looking forward to seeing more, much nicer than a photo by numbers shot of little jimmy on the difference cloud backdrop from the schoo pro photographer.

tim

id retake it. i love the idea, but there is a lot of color noise and its a bit blurry.
id use a different setting so that there wasnt too many blown out areas. id hang it on my wall.:p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back