I bought a light tent

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was in Factory Direct & saw light tent kits on sale for $20 that included two lamps & a mini tripod. Seemed like a good deal so I bought one. I have often taken pics in the shop to show/explane things on woodworking forums. Just for fun, I took this first pic as I would have done in the past using shop lighting plus flash.

IMG_1798sm.jpg

I then set up the tent using the blue side of the blue/grey background that comes with the tent as you see here.

IMG_1801sm.jpg

I again used the on-board flash & took this pic.

IMG_1800sm.jpg

The camera was hand held for these shots. I cannot say the light tent did anything to improve the pic of this bit.

I would say the color balance is better in the one with the tent, but then again that is just a simple fix in camera with the white balance.

The light tent shot looks the better to my eyes - you have far more detail in the shadowed inner section on the left and the highlights running down the length are more diffused than they are in the first. Also the colours are better presented here (though correctable the less you have to correct the better.
Also are you using and diffusion on the camera flash? IF not then use something like some folds of white toilet paper over the flash to diffuse the light, that should help reduce the highlights from being blown out

I definitely prefer the tent shot.

However, in both cases, you're mixing light sources with different color temperatures. I suggest you try a shot with the tent, no flash, and place the bit on a sheet of white paper. If you want to take it a step further, hit the bit with some dulling spray.

-Pete

On reexamination I see you two are correct. I will have to remember to diffuse the on-board flash. I tried using a tripod & no flash in this next pic.

ISO 400
f 5.6
t 1/20

IMG_1804sm.jpg

I thing a large part of the problem is the on camera flash. The lighting tent is there to diffuse the light coming in and to make the lighting less harsh on the item you're photographing. By using an onboard flash you're flashing straight onto the item anyway, which is why you have the big glare streak running down the middle of the item.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back