I can't help but laugh...

LittleMike

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I work at a sporting goods retailer, and quite frequently get asked by customers what I would recommend for digi-scoping (pairing their camera up with a spotting scope, thereby getting a MUCH longer focal length). I had a training on one of the higher-end brands of spotting scopes today, and asked the instructors about an issue I've had when pairing my 5DmkII up to one of their scopes. I was using a 50mm f/1.4 lens (which is exactly what they specify...but don't mention anything about the full-frame/aps-c difference), and was seeing the inside of the scope. Not just a vignette, but actually getting a picture with rounded ends. They were clueless, and told me to email one of their other representatives. His response just makes me chuckle:

Hi Michael –

A few people have told me they were going to try an 85mm lens with a 5D to see if it works correctly behind the scope eyepiece, but none have ever written or called back with the results. I have to assume that they either didn’t try it, or it does not work.

There is a bigger question to answer – why is anyone using a Full-Frame D-SLR for digiscoping in the first place? Since a 5D has a lower pixel density (pixels / mm[SUP]2[/SUP]) than an APC-sized sensor (a Canon 50D, 60D, or 7D), the deer or elk or eagle that you are trying to photograph with ANY telephoto lens will have FEWER points of data, and thus LESS image detail, with the 5D.

If you look at it from the point of view of the camera designers, the Full-Frame D-SLRs were specifically designed and marketed for users of wide-angle lenses, not telephoto lenses. A 28mm lens on a 7D acts like a 44mm lens, and a 21mm lens acts like a 33mm lens. You need the full-frame 24x36mm sensor to let those lenses show the entire wide field.

However, when using a telephoto lens, the size of the deer’s head as it is projected onto the sensor is the same, regardless of whether the sensor itself is 24x36, or 15x22. The sensor that has more pixels / mm[SUP]2 [/SUP]will give you finer details.

Yes, the 5D has a greater dynamic range, less noise, etc., but if the APC sensor gives you more detail, for the purposes of digiscoping, it wins!

Thus, I would recommend spending the money on an APC camera body and not the L-series 85mm f/1.8 lens.

I can see his point of why would anyone be using a full-frame camera when digiscoping :lol: But hey, if my customer has a full-frame camera, and is willing to drop $3k on a scope that will only deliver mediocre images at EXTREME focal lengths, then I'm not going to tell them no. I'll let them know what will happen, and will even set it up and demonstrate it for them so they will know what they'll be getting.

But still, I would think that if someone wanted to pair up a high-end camera with a high-end scope, the company that advertises their scopes are the "best in the world" for digiscoping would accommodate that.

I don't even want to know what he thinks about larger format cameras like the Hasselblads. Their image quality must be HORRENDOUS! :lmao:

*EDIT*
And just for the record, I knew why I was seeing the inside of the scope. My question was if they had a larger adapter that would thread onto a lens with a larger filter size, like the 85mm f/1.2.

My thoughts exactly! He obviously has no idea what he's talking about. A higher pixel density will produce sharper images, even the the overall MP count is lower? Really??? My cellphone camera must be AMAZING!!!

:er: That is just too funny...now let me see, where did I put my ND BS filter - I'm thinking an ND8192 should do it.... :lmao:

WesternGuy

I lol'd

Thanks for sharing ^^

Most reactions

New Topics

Back