I decided to try black and white.... I think I'm in love.

AFarhat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally got a roll of black and white film developed. Just some random photos that I took to get use to my camera. I really like how some of them turned out, let me know what you think.

For just playing around, they look pretty good! The kitty picture is a tiny bit out of focus, and the pup is a bit underexposed, but I really like them anyway, especially the shallow depth of field. Plus the cuteness! :) Otherwise, my favorite one is #5. I like the gradation from light to dark and the dappled light in between. Nice comp.

For just playing around, they look pretty good! The kitty picture is a tiny bit out of focus, and the pup is a bit underexposed, but I really like them anyway, especially the shallow depth of field. Plus the cuteness! :) Otherwise, my favorite one is #5. I like the gradation from light to dark and the dappled light in between. Nice comp.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm working on trying to get my exposure right, but with only having a film camera it really takes some practice. My dang cat has been giving me a hard time and I keep missing the proper focus point cause he moves all the time.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm working on trying to get my exposure right, but with only having a film camera it really takes some practice. My dang cat has been giving me a hard time and I keep missing the proper focus point cause he moves all the time.

Good luck with the cat............ mine runs off as soon as she sees the camera!! Grrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with the cat............ mine runs off as soon as she sees the camera!! Grrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

No kidding, right when I get the shot I want, he runs away! At least I know its not just me.

B&W film is kind of addictive, so we'll see you soon in the Film forum, asking how to develop your film at home for pennies. ;) It's very empowering to realize how cheaply it can be done.

You have some nice exposures up there! Keep shooting. Remember that filters are the friend of B&W film, especially outdoors.

<-- Oh, and Odin says "woof" to your friend in #3. :razz: Pugs are camera hams, so you might have more luck with the dog than the cat! (But keep trying, he's a pretty kitty!)

Oh, cats will totally drive you nuts :)

Exposures can definitely be tricky. You're using the K1000, right? Remember that sometimes the meter might be fooled by a lot of dark- or light-colored things in the frame. Gauge the scene and don't be afraid to nudge that needle a little bit off center. And you can bracket, too.

B&W film is kind of addictive,
Especially when you will start to develop own film. So
so we'll see you soon in the Film forum, asking how to develop your film at home for pennies. ;) It's very empowering to realize how cheaply it can be done.
Basic development is very easy. Of course it requires a bit of preparation. Like everything else. :D. Soon I hope you will discover, that b&w film development is a one big variable and there is a gozillion ways to do it resulting in somewhat or much different results. Finding own way might be an exciting journey.

B&W film is kind of addictive, so we'll see you soon in the Film forum, asking how to develop your film at home for pennies. ;) It's very empowering to realize how cheaply it can be done.

You have some nice exposures up there! Keep shooting. Remember that filters are the friend of B&W film, especially outdoors.

<-- Oh, and Odin says "woof" to your friend in #3. :razz: Pugs are camera hams, so you might have more luck with the dog than the cat! (But keep trying, he's a pretty kitty!)

Thank you, I do plan on figuring out how to develop pretty soon. What kind of filters are you talking about, like a ND filter?

also, your pug is very cute!

Oh, cats will totally drive you nuts :)

Exposures can definitely be tricky. You're using the K1000, right? Remember that sometimes the meter might be fooled by a lot of dark- or light-colored things in the frame. Gauge the scene and don't be afraid to nudge that needle a little bit off center. And you can bracket, too.

Yes, the K1000. Although I don't have a battery in it because I can't get into the battery compartment, so I have not been using the spot metering function.

And what do you mean by "bracket"

Thanks!

What kind of filters are you talking about, like a ND filter?
He is talking about yellow, orange, green and red filters.

Black and white film Is addictive, at least to me. You did very well with your photos. No. 2 is my favorite, followed by 1 & 3. Take a look at the film section, there is a lot of info there. Film Discussion and Q & A What film did you use?

Phil

What kind of filters are you talking about, like a ND filter?
He is talking about yellow, orange, green and red filters.

Oh, that sounds cool. I don't think I've seen any B&W with filters like that.
They are sometimes called contrast filters, but really the idea is in blocking unwanted light waves like blue from reaching the film or changing the film "perception" of certain colours in your subject. There is also matter of eliminating the haze in landscaping shots.
Look here:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photo-themes/3433-landscapes-3.html
post #38 and #40
Tmax 400 (TMY) reacts very well to filtering.

Bracketing is taking more than one exposure of the same scene. You'd take one at the suggested exposure, then ideally you'd take two more: one "over" and one "under" the suggested exposure. I don't always do three shots, but I'll often take a second one either over or under depending on what I think is "fooling" the meter (or my eyes - I don't always meter my shots but will often use Sunny 16 rules. The Ultimate Guide to the Sunny 16 Rule - Part 1 - AndBeThere.com) It takes up more film, but it'll help ensure that you get a good exposure because it might turn out that the light meter you're using is suggesting the wrong exposure.

Most reactions

Back