i dont understand

Christina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
whats the difference between matte and luster?

i know luster is like a shine, glossy kinda thing, but can someone explain the two for me please.

anybody?

cause when i go to print some photographs its give me the option to order it luster or matte, but some other places i order photographs from it only give me the glossy options..

Gloss tends to show color the best, it also can be harder to see with light reflections shining off it. Gloss is also susceptible to fingerprints showing. Matte does not have the shine that gloss has. Matte tends to have a dull finish with some texture to it. Lustre tends to show the advantages of both, it shows color better than matte, but also has some of the matte texture and does not reflect light like gloss does. Hope this helps. :)

so would you say my assumption was correct if i said that matte looks like a painting finish almost? or is it still smooth paper and not a canvas?

also, how often do any of you print in matte?

this is not really something belonging into the general gallery ... as the name of this part of the forum suggests, it is for displaying images and commenting on them ;)

Why not just order a sample of each, and decide for yourself?

Gloss = super shiny smooth finish. Gives a 'wet' look and shows better colours in the right light.

Matte = very falt, non-reflective finish. Gives a 'dry' look and doesn't rely so much on diffused/angled light to avoid reflections on the surface.

Lustre = textured finish. Like gloss (but, not quite as glossy) with a textured surface to diffuse the reflected light. It's a compromise between Gloss and Matte.

Luster has a slight texture. It's normally not more expensive but looks much more professional, IMO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back