I don't want to learn to calibrate my monitor

xtechy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a good SLR and love to work in Lightroom. I have no professional aspirations, but I want to create the best quality images I can.It seems to me now that the main obstacle to achieving this is a well calibrated monitor, so at least those who are similarly equipped can see my intent.

The problem is, although I am quite capable of learning to calibrate a monitor, I'd rather not. I want to have a calibrated monitor so I can do image development without fiddling with tech, which I've done enough of for this lifetime.

Questions:

1) I have been looking at the EIZO self calibrating ColorEdge monitors. Does anyone here have experience with these. Do they fill the bill.

2) Is there anything else on the market worth considering.

Thanks -JS

I use an x-rite colormunki Display.
you can run it in automatic mode (which I do) and it works great.
you dont have to do anything except let it take some reading from your monitor. the software does all the work.

With today's software, there's really no 'learning'. I use a Spyder 4 Pro. Once I installed the software on my computer, it's literally nothing more than:
-Plug the calibrator in, sofware auto-detects it, and runs GUI
-Seven mouse clicks
-Unplug calibrator, return to storage for another month.

The whole process takes MAYBE 2-3 minutes, and that is it. It really is that simple.

even pre-calibrated monitors need adjustment. Ambient light conditions also play a role.

The good news is you don't need a calibrated display, there will however be quite a bit of trial and error if you decide to print your photos. Once you understand your display's relation to print and have consistent lighting at your workstation, if shouldn't be an issue. There may be drift as well...

even pre-calibrated monitors need adjustment. Ambient light conditions also play a role.

The good news is you don't need a calibrated display, there will however be quite a bit of trial and error if you decide to print your photos. Once you understand your display's relation to print and have consistent lighting at your workstation, if shouldn't be an issue. There may be drift as well...

Tokyo Drift?

The Eizo is good because the calibration is done on the monitor.

The Eizo monitor comes with a colorimeter/software and calibration and profiling are done similarly as with other monitors and an off the shelf colorimeter such as X-Rite's or Datacolor's calibrators.

Display calibration accomplishes two critical tasks. 1. It physically adjusts the white point, brightness and gamma of the display -- this really needs to be done. 2. It profiles the display and saves an ICC profile for the display that is then used by the OS and photo editing software like Photoshop -- this really needs to be done.

Joe

I have a good SLR and love to work in Lightroom. I have no professional aspirations, but I want to create the best quality images I can.It seems to me now that the main obstacle to achieving this is a well calibrated monitor, so at least those who are similarly equipped can see my intent.

The problem is, although I am quite capable of learning to calibrate a monitor, I'd rather not. I want to have a calibrated monitor so I can do image development without fiddling with tech, which I've done enough of for this lifetime.

Questions:

1) I have been looking at the EIZO self calibrating ColorEdge monitors. Does anyone here have experience with these. Do they fill the bill.

2) Is there anything else on the market worth considering.

Thanks -JS

1) I have been looking at the EIZO self calibrating ColorEdge monitors. Does anyone here have experience with these. Do they fill the bill. Yes and NO!

2) Is there anything else on the market worth considering. Either this....ColorMunki Photo Software and Hardware solution X-Rite ColorMunki Photo Or this... Raw Digital Image Editing and Photoshop Services Camera Equipment Rentals and Professional Raw Digital Image Editing Photoshop Retouching

Most reactions

New Topics

Back