I feel like my photography is missing something..

ShutterSpeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Teresina, Brazil otherwise known as the End of the
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been in photography since 2008 now. And I've really been struggling lately. I guess I feel like my work is missing something. I know there are some areas I'm much better at and other areas that i'm not so good at. And still, I want to keep getting better, and I'm not quite sure what I'm missing to grow even more. But I feel like there is something.

so, I wanted to ask you guys, if you would be so kind, to take a look through my Flickr photostream to give me over all suggestions. Maybe some things that you guys are noticing that I could improve. I would appreciate any and all constructive criticism. And please don't be condescending, my weak ego can't handle it. Lol.

Flickr: Justin.Lee.Photography's Photostream
I'm not asking you to look at all 625 of them, but enough to give you an idea on some trends.

Maybe tell me what you think I do well, what I don't do some well. Some areas that I should work on. I just feel like something is missing and I'd really like an outside opinion.

Thanks

photographer-graph-1024x858.jpg

I looked at the first 11 pages, then Flickr stopped serving images...just stalled out, and provided NO images...

Anyway, I noticed that you seem to be placing the tops of peoples' heads too close to the top of the frame; there's NO WAY an image like that could be made into say, and 8x10 or a 5x7 print...the heads would be cropped in to on machine prints, and/or the feet too...

ALso, the 35mm 1.8 as a location/setting lens on APS-C...I'm not very happy with the way that lens works on images where a person is shown within an environment; that focal length on APS-C is just not that flattering. it seems to have too much depth of field on half and 3/4 length shots.

I looked through a few pages and there really isn't anything wrong with what you are doing, there are some very nice images, and some pretty average stuff. You seem to understand where your weakness in shooting lies, maybe just take a step back and try shooting something else for a couple of weeks. Pick something that you haven't shot before, maybe use just one lens for the whole thing. I suppose a mini project to get your head going in a different and fresh direction, it may just help.

I agree with what Derrel said about placement of the people in the frame.
And, except for the Teresina series, you don't seem to have much hold on finishing the image so it has an impact.
You have cropped some images to a square when they would be much better in a non-square.
You have posted some that are just either badly colored or bad expressions.

You need to get more objective about your work so that it shows more evenness in quality. It goes from pretty terrific to ok snapshot.

Lew

I looked at the first 11 pages, then Flickr stopped serving images...just stalled out, and provided NO images...

Anyway, I noticed that you seem to be placing the tops of peoples' heads too close to the top of the frame; there's NO WAY an image like that could be made into say, and 8x10 or a 5x7 print...the heads would be cropped in to on machine prints, and/or the feet too...

ALso, the 35mm 1.8 as a location/setting lens on APS-C...I'm not very happy with the way that lens works on images where a person is shown within an environment; that focal length on APS-C is just not that flattering. it seems to have too much depth of field on half and 3/4 length shots.

Thanks for the honest feedback. As far as the 35mm 1.8. My other prime is a 50mm 1.8 Other than that, i have very simple 18-105 and 55-200 (which I almost never use). I like the 35mm because I can control the DOF a bit more than with the 18-105, but what would you recommend as far as Nikon lenses to use in lieu of the 35. I guess a 24 or 28 is available, or I can just stick with the 18-105 in most situations.

As far as what you're saying with the head to close to the top, I think I learned that the hard way this past week. I printed off some at a local printer (in brazil using metric so 20x30cm) and my photos were at the 2x3 ratio, however, the head ended up getting cut off anyway. Needless to say, I was fairly disappointed.

I agree with what Derrel said about placement of the people in the frame.
And, except for the Teresina series, you don't seem to have much hold on finishing the image so it has an impact.
You have cropped some images to a square when they would be much better in a non-square.
You have posted some that are just either badly colored or bad expressions.

You need to get more objective about your work so that it shows more evenness in quality. It goes from pretty terrific to ok snapshot.

Lew

Maybe I'm a bit dull here, but exactly is badly colored about that photo? Is it the white balance? Should it be colder?
As far as the square crops are going, I can see what you're saying. I appreciate the feedback.

I looked through a few pages and there really isn't anything wrong with what you are doing, there are some very nice images, and some pretty average stuff. You seem to understand where your weakness in shooting lies, maybe just take a step back and try shooting something else for a couple of weeks. Pick something that you haven't shot before, maybe use just one lens for the whole thing. I suppose a mini project to get your head going in a different and fresh direction, it may just help.

Thanks, I think I'll consider a project then.

The one I pointed to is way over-exposed and, although the exif say no flash, they look like they are blasted in the face with light. Note the blanched cheekbones of the boy on the right.
It's shot at 1.8 and parts of the face are OOF.
Shoot at a smaller f stop and get better sharpness and dof.
The background is going to be blown out no matter what you jusge your exposure by the face.

Lew

I've been in photography since 2008 now. And I've really been struggling lately. I guess I feel like my work is missing something. I know there are some areas I'm much better at and other areas that i'm not so good at. And still, I want to keep getting better, and I'm not quite sure what I'm missing to grow even more. But I feel like there is something.

so, I wanted to ask you guys, if you would be so kind, to take a look through my Flickr photostream to give me over all suggestions. Maybe some things that you guys are noticing that I could improve. I would appreciate any and all constructive criticism. And please don't be condescending, my weak ego can't handle it. Lol.

Flickr: Justin.Lee.Photography's Photostream
I'm not asking you to look at all 625 of them, but enough to give you an idea on some trends.

Maybe tell me what you think I do well, what I don't do some well. Some areas that I should work on. I just feel like something is missing and I'd really like an outside opinion.

Thanks

Your work is good but Im not feeling any greatness when I view your stream. I search through about ten pages and was not wowed by much. Maybe try some new editing maybe a new genre or something. Or maybe its just time to get back to your roots? What made you want to be a photographer?

Some more of this wouldnt hurt....
Radio Promotion - a set on Flickr

That set seemed offbeat from your typical work but stood out the most. It was sexy and provocative but you could have pushed it more.

But I dont think that you have really found your own style as a photographer yet.

OP...Decent stuff. Interesting angles. The panorma (page 1?) could have used some HDR. The guy with the red eyes looks good.

I got ADD so I jumped from page 2 to the end of your pix then back some. I was going to save a copy of the gal with her legs crossed showing some upskirt. But you disabled the downloading. So I lost interest in looking at your stuff.

You almost made it up on my wall with your work if you weren't so stingy with your images. So that is an honor in itself.

bedroomfisheye.jpg

Last edited:
slackercruster said:
OP...Decent stuff. Interesting angles. The panorma could have used some HDR.

I got ADD so I jumped to the end of your pix. I was going to save a copy of the gal with her legs crossed sowing some upskirt. But you disabled the downloding. So I lost interest in looking at your stuff.

You you almost made it up on my wall with your work if you weren't so stingy with your images.

Lol wall of infamous fame.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back