I gave it my best shot..

TamiAz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's a picture I took today using my speedlight and umbrella. I didn't bother editing the plant out since I won't be giving it to my friend.. What do you think? How bad? Thanks.

She has pin lights in her eyes..How do you avoid that?

6842866752_eafd7162a1_z.jpg

Moved to the People Photography Gallery per new guidelines for the Beginner's Forum.

Read the new Beginners Forum description when you get a chance.

Don't use an apparently small light source. If you are using your pop-up flash to trigger the off camera speedlight you can use something like a Nikon SG-3IR IR Panel to block the visible light from the pop-up but let the IR light through so the speedlight triggers.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Don't use an apparently small light source. If you are using your pop-up flash to trigger the off camera speedlight you can use something like a Nikon SG-3IR IR Panel to block the visible light from the pop-up but let the IR light through so the speedlight triggers.

I used my wireless remote. Will I always get pin lights when using a shoot through umbrella? Thanks for the link..I didn't know they made something like that.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
TamiAz said:
I used my wireless remote. Will I always get pin lights when using a shoot through umbrella? Thanks for the link..I didn't know they made something like that.

No. I never get pin lights with the shoot through. Maybe bringing it closer would help...

You need to look at your picture closely and try to ask yourself what could make it better.

Note:
how bright (and pale looking) her skin is
how bright the background is - close to her color
how bright the dress is - enough to pull the eye

If you change all of those and crop to remove space that doesn't do anything, the picture looks more lush and her color look better, I think.

$6842866752_eafd7162a1_zlllllllllll.jpg

Two minor nitpicks from me. First is that shooting down at the subject diminishes and subordinates them. Shooting from the subject's eye level makes it look more appropriate in my opinion. Second is that her smile looks forced and not natural.

I do think you did an excellent job with the exposure though, better than I could have done. I think Lew's edit looks better because it emphasizes the subject and not the background but it requires a good exposure to start with.

The pin lights can easily be cloned out.

You need to look at your picture closely and try to ask yourself what could make it better.

Note:

If you change all of those and crop to remove space that doesn't do anything, the picture looks more lush and her color look better, I think.

View attachment 4419

I like how you edited the picture..Would you mind sharing how you did it? I'm just learning how to edit pictures. Thank you!!

Get down on her level... much more attractive that way! It would have been a killer shot if you had done that! :)

Note:

View attachment 4419

I like how you edited the picture..Would you mind sharing how you did it? I'm just learning how to edit pictures. Thank you!!

What software do you use to edit?

Lew

Note:

View attachment 4419

What software do you use to edit?

Lew

I have Photoshop elements and Lightroom.

You've got nice soft light going here, even if it is a little flat.

If you move the light more to the side, you'll pick up more shadow gradient. Try pulling her further away from the background and get the light closer to her.

Remember... when you want soft light

the larger the light source (in relation to the subject), the softer the light.

The closer the light source is to the subject, the softer the light (as apparent light source is larger). Always try to get the modifier as close as possible to the subject... better catchlights, and softer light..

Most reactions

Back